Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Do all 5.2 Rams have the power of an old Rambler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 10:53 AM
ramarado
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do all 5.2 Rams have the power of an old Rambler?

I have a 98 Ram Quad, 2wd, 5.2 which reminds me of a '65 Rambler American I used to have years ago. Looks good but doesn't have the power to get out of its own way, especially if the road rises at all and heaven forbid if there's a hill or a headwind. I've put new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, K&N filter, Helix power tower plus, and no change. Then theres the gas mileage issue. 15 is tops. Does this Fastman TB help anything? Any ideas? PLEASE. I drive about 1000 miles per week and a truck with this much eye appeal shouldn't be such a pain to drive. I have a 99 Tahoe 4x4 that gets better mileage, and would walk off and leave this goat.

Old 07-02-2004, 11:06 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do all 5.2 Rams have the power of an old Rambler?

You aren't the only person with this question. The 5.2L is doing alot of work. Just curious. How many miles are on your truck?

Old 07-02-2004, 11:17 AM
capecoralbill

Did you buy it new? It may have been given the death flash by the dealer. Try this link: http://www.dodgetrucks.org/forums/vi...r=asc&start=15

Old 07-02-2004, 11:26 AM
moparturd
Banned

Man, that sucks.

Old 07-02-2004, 11:42 AM
ramarado

The truck now has 100k on it. I bought it at 84k back in March. As far as it doing so much work, my 5.7 in a 4x4 tahoe is doing more (weight, etc) than the Ram, and I'm talking interstate driving. Don't know, maybe a tree will fall on it or something and put it and I out of our misery.
Ha!

Old 07-02-2004, 12:45 PM
moparturd
Banned

Sounds to me like the engine could be getting tired. Who knows, maybe your wish will come true for your Ram.

Old 07-02-2004, 01:21 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

It's amazing Dodge is getting away with that "Death Flash" thing.....[:@]

Old 07-07-2004, 02:57 PM
pajaro

ramarado: don't know what your vehicles' problems are but I have two stock 5.2 ltr ca. 1990 trucks with great torque and plenty of pickup. Both vehicles are very reliable.
Previously the D 150 truck (4 x 2) was used for general farm/ranch duties, hauled cattle, horses, feed and hunting dogs near College Station (Texas A & M Univ.) and still has more acceleration than my 1990 Dodge Ram (4 x 4 purchased in Wilmington,NC)daily driver here in Houston. Both of mine are also powered pre-magnum motors.

I would expect more from a Dodge Ram Truck than you are talking about. Find out what the problems are and fix them...then you will be as pleased with your truck as I am.

Old 07-07-2004, 07:28 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i saw a rambler runnin' mid 11s about a year ago at the track...it was a REAL screamer.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:08 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

Sounds to me like the engine could be getting tired. Who knows, maybe your wish will come true for your Ram.
Not likely, I had a 200K 5.2 that I pulled the head off & found no ridge at all on the cylinder wall, looked real good. have you checked your Plenum gasket? they go bad & cause a vacuum leak. You can check by looking down the Throttle Body & see if you have any oil staining on the bottom of the intake manifold. This will cause a loss in power, oil usage & pinging. I've swapped 2 of them & the difference is very noticeable.

Another thought would be that maybe you have a clogged catylictic converter. My ram had 2 clogged cats, blown plenum and it too could not get out of it's own way... I can't comment on how fixing it on mine felt afterwards because I added headers & a power programmer during the repair. But it definately runs alot better. Earlier this week, i felt the urge to lay some rubber down & see how much I could do... 10-12 feet with 285's & 4.11's. Sad part is my gas milage has plunged again (since adding the flowmaster). Probably has a lot to do with the lead foot I have

Quick Reply: Do all 5.2 Rams have the power of an old Rambler?