Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Complete Newbie Here! - Want some minor HP/TQ Mods (5.9L V8)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Dannyboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete Newbie Here! - Want some minor HP/TQ Mods (5.9L V8)

Hi guys. I am very new to the aftermarket truck scene so please cut me some slack. My dad has a '99 Dodge Ram w/ the 5.9L Magnum V8 in it and he is interested in purchasing a chip for it.

Now, I did a bit of research and found that the SCT chips give some pretty nice gains on this particular engine. Exactly, how much gains do most of you see after installing this chip? Also, how hard is it to install this? Correct me if I'm not, but isn't the Ram SCT application a "flashing" that you basically load to the stock ECU rather than "plug it in"???

Finally, about other mods... My car has a handful of bolt ons along with an SCT chip and my dad was curious about getting a CAI. I have a Volant on my car and I'm very satisfied with the sound, power, and quality (no hydrolock ) that it provided. Would an intake be a worthy mod to do along with the chip? When paired with the chip, how much power should I see total?

I must note that my dad really isn't into the loud exhausts. He wants his truck to stay pretty much unnoticed, but still have a little extra "oomph" for hitting the highway, towing, etc.

Please help me out here guys. Sorry if I'm doing some major reposting, but I really have no idea where to start. Thanks a lot in advance.

--Dan.

Old 07-09-2004, 06:51 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: Complete Newbie Here! - Want some minor HP/TQ Mods (5.9L V8)

Check out the Hypertech power programmer III, I have it & am pleased with what I noticed after the install. The CAI is the 1st thing I'd do, then the programmer. Also if your dad doesn't want anything too loud, check out the Gibson exhausts. i had one on my Jeep grand cherokee & liked it. it wasn't too loud but you will notice performance improvement.

Quick Reply: Complete Newbie Here! - Want some minor HP/TQ Mods (5.9L V8)