Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

HELP !!! Odd problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 09:20 PM
grassy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP !!! Odd problem

Coming home from my son's last MX race, the engine in my much loved '96 RAM 1500 w/318 started vibrating and making odd noises. The "check engine " light was on (and sometimes flashing) but temp and oil pressure were good so we push on home. I took it to my fav mechanic today.

He found that my # 5 sparkie had melted. He replace all the sparkies, air filter, dizzy, router button and did a clean of my injection system. When he ran computer diagnostics...he found that it still had an "occational" miss that you couldn't feel while driving.

This guy is really good but he said that he had no idea why the sparkie melted...perhaps a valve going ?

While driving it home from the garage..the miss came back and the light came on...any ideas ?

Thanks
Ian.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:00 AM
crashedcdo
Rookie
Default RE: HELP !!! Odd problem

heres a shot in the dark. but maybe its a bad injector. maybe running that cylinder lean and melting the plug and causing a miss.

Old 10-13-2006, 10:17 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

ORIGINAL: crashedcdo

heres a shot in the dark. but maybe its a bad injector. maybe running that cylinder lean and melting the plug and causing a miss.
exactly what I'd think... there could be crud on top of the injector too. others have found that over time crap develops in the fuel rail and sits on top of the fuel injectors. so whenever you yank the rail, clean it all out before putting it back together.

Also, i'd hate to say it but if it's gotten that hot, you may have a crack in that cylinder on the head. the stock heads are known for cracking between the valve seats. it ends up being a miss you cant fix. Heavy duty heads are the ticket for a daily driver...

Old 10-16-2006, 03:20 AM
JarheadX
All Star

I like how what im thinking is already said. I agree w/ above.

Quick Reply: HELP !!! Odd problem