Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Changing engine oils

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 08:36 AM
backdraft98
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing engine oils

I was going to change over to Mobil 1 on my next oil change, but was told by someone that if you were using a non synthetic oil currently you should not change to a synthetic. My Ram has 53,000 miles on it. I was using Havoline with a K&N oil filter. Can someone help me.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:50 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changing engine oils

There is no reason not to switch to synthetics. If you currently have oil leaks, with your 02 5.9L your probably ok, then you should repair the leaks before changing. The synthetic will leak a bit more than the conventional oil some say. I first put it in a 96 Neon I used to have. At that point it had 90K on it, and the oil loss didn't change with the synthetic.

Old 07-15-2004, 01:49 PM
B12Teuton
Professional

ORIGINAL: backdraft98
but was told by someone that if you were using a non synthetic oil currently you should not change to a synthetic.
That's BS.
Go for it. Like mopartodd said, if it leaks, it might do so a little bit more but I would not let that stop.

Old 07-16-2004, 02:45 AM
backdraft98
Amateur

Thanks guys. I didn't think it would hurt but thought I would get some other opinions. I currently have no leaks.

Quick Reply: Changing engine oils