Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

05 Ram QC Complete Stereo Rebuild ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 02:13 PM
rrm0314
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Ram QC Complete Stereo Rebuild ??

I am in the process of upgrading all stereo components and adding an amp/subs to my 05 3500 Cummins QC. After much research, I replaced the H/U with a Panasonic C8803U, the front speakers with Infinity 693.7i and the rear with Polk Audio db650. These are currently wired through the factory harness. My plans, due to the space constraints, are to install the MTX thunderform under the rear seat with two MTX Thunder 4500 series subs. Due to the power driver's seat, I don't see anywhere else to install the amp and capacitor except under the passenger seat. Therefore, I am planning to install a Kicker ZX700.5 5 channel amp to run the entire system. I have a 4ga amp wiring kit and Zero noise patch cables to tie them in and had planned to run 18ga speaker wire from the amp to the head unit and connect into the factory wires from there.

Can someone answer whether I am sacrificing sound quality by not running the 18ga speaker wires all the way to the speakers?

Also, with respect to the amp and subs that I am planning to buy and installation locations, does anyone have advice to the contrary of what I have planned?

Any assistance or constructive criticism is welcome.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:01 PM
blasticblazin
Default RE: 05 Ram QC Complete Stereo Rebuild ??

stock wiring for the mids and highs is fine, shouldnt be a noticable difference...for the amp though...what is powering the subs? i see you have a kicker amp for the mids and highs......thats not gonna be powering subs too is it??? if it is, the rest of your system is fine, you just need an additional amp for decent bass....for two mtx 10" subs in the 4500 series they handle 225watts rms....peak should probly be double that....i would suggest atleast a 500 watt rms amp to power the two subs....over powered amp is always better, you can simply turn it down if you need to =)

Old 10-27-2006, 01:22 AM
rrm0314

The ZX700.5 Kicker amp sends 85W RMS to the front/rear 4 channels and 420W RMS to the sub channel. These figures are advertised as under rated by kicker and most of the amps actually test out over 900W RMS with over 500W to the sub channel. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-27-2006, 01:59 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that Panasonic unit stable @ 2 ohms? The Infinitys are only a 2 ohm speaker. If your head unit is currently powering the Infinitys AND the Polks, I wouldn't be suprised if the head unit ***** out on you.

My opinion, for what it's worth....lol. I have Infinity 693.7Is in my Ram. 2 up front, and 2 in the rear. I think they are the best speaker going. I power the bejesus out of them. They are rated for 110 watts RMS. I push them with an Infinity 7540A amp. My alt maintains a TRUE 14.1 volt output. Because they speakers are only 2 ohms, the amp is pushing more power than 110 watts into them. More like 146 watts rms each. They haven't blown. Power doesn't kill a speaker, distortion does.

You will have to check to see if that amp is 2 ohm stable. If not, you'll have to find one that is. To be honest, 2 amps would be better.

My concern is the head unit at the moment. Check the specs on that unit.

I just checked on the Polks. They are a 4 ohm speaker. So you have 2 ohm up front, and 4 ohm in the back.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 05 Ram QC Complete Stereo Rebuild ??