Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia
View Poll Results: A poll
Bridgestone Winter Duelers
10.53%
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos
36.84%
Cooper Discovery A/T
31.58%
BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail
15.79%
Yokohama Geolander A/T +II
5.26%
Dunlop Rover RVXT
0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2015, 07:29 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Best All Around Winter A/T tires on the market

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 08:37 AM
AkDanoM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best All Around Winter A/T tires on the market

I live in Anchorage Alaska, and it seems that we have winter 9 months out of the year. Therefore my question is very simple.
Which Brand/make of tire would best suit these very long winter conditions and still have enough tread life to last our 4 months of dry pavement.

These are some of the choices i have narrowed it down to.

Btw Tire size are the stock 17's on the 2002's

*addition* I know these 17's are 265 / 70 / 17 ... Raising the 265 makes a larger side wall.. Correct???

Old 07-19-2004, 11:00 AM
B][GT
Professional
Default RE: Best All Around Winter A/T tires on the market

Those winter Duelers are the only ones i run in our winters, in Northern BC. I couldnt vote.. but thats my choice.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:24 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i used to work someplace that sold tires, and our biggest mover was the REvo, as far as hardcore truck tires go. i also spent a great deal of my customer time listening to people complain about the Geolander. all i use on my car is yokohamas, so im a bit biased, but ive enver found anyone who had a good opinion of them. with the BFGs i wuld go with an M/T if anything, and the coopers..well, come on now..its cooper. i have a set of rovers in my basement that may be on my truck this winter, but last winter i had MTs on ym truck and they did a fine job. (2 wheel drive)[:@]

Old 07-20-2004, 02:51 AM
BULLDOG
Rookie

I'm not sure if those are the only tires that you have available, but would you consider a mud terrain tire? We use mud terrains exclusively in the mountains of California (Big Bear) and have incredible luck. Commonly BFG, but Dunlop has a mud also that is very close to the BFG with considerable savings. I have had the pleasure to run the newer Goodyear Wrangler AT I believe it is an aggressive mud tire with a load range of "E" and a 10 ply sidewall I believe. In addition I almost got 40,000 miles from a 315-75-16, but they were pricey and a bit loud. I'm currently running the Dunlop's, they are quiet, and they were reasonably inexpensive. Around $600.00 for the 315's.
Just another avenue to pursue, and perhaps consider. Good luck!

Old 07-20-2004, 03:33 AM
AkDanoM
Rookie

Thanks for the insite...

and there are other options but i dont want to go totaly M/T... because i run them on dry pavement for 3 months of the year... wears out the life of those M/T's a little faster.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:16 AM
BULLDOG
Rookie

Understandably there are better mileage tires than any mud style. I just have never been happy with a compromise. The prices of rubber seem to get higher and higher anyway, might as well buy what works. I live in the "High Desert" of California, I almost exclusively run mud terrain an everything. I also drive on the street 90% of the time. The only exception is a little ranger 4X4, I'm running BFG all terrains, the old style not "TKO" they been on there for 30,000 miles+ and there is still 70%-ish there. I like them and all, but they do NOT clean well, and they are greasy feeling, but LONG wear!
Im not sure what size you are looking at, but what is the total saving? If you are looking for a $100.00 total savings for an inferior tire, is it rally worth it?
Another thing running large tires as I do here and there, I have noticed that somewhat cheaper tires (Dunlop) take much more weight to balance, BTW Dunlop is manufactured by GoodYear, if you take there tire and the Dunlop there is considerable difference. I doubt that I will buy them again. I personally like BFG, YOK, Goodyear in that order.
Also I have the insight to do some testing on tires, I receive tires known as "projects" (basically prototypes that are not sold to the general public) from LARGE manufactures, we race on them, or just test. I myself mount and balance (where applicable) all tires that I receive or buy.
I'm not here to pull your leg, I'm just of the opinion purchase what works, don't compromise. I hate sounding like a commercial, but your life and perhaps living is riding on your tires. Nothing worse being in a situation and saying "gosh I wish I had" done this or that, on the other side saying to yourself "boy it's a good thing I did that" is much better!

Good luck buddy

Old 07-20-2004, 02:05 PM
AkDanoM
Rookie

Not tryin to compromise.... this is my family vehicle. 1500 Dodge Ram QC. My wife and child ride in this all year round as well. So there will be no price too high.

I have asked around town here and have gotten many good opinions on Bridgestone Duelers all makes A/T, revos, M/T, M/S,

I am also trying to go with a larger sidewall profile.

Old 07-20-2004, 05:34 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey bulldog..i didnt have a super aggressive MT, but i thought that, aside from the highway noise, they were good tires on my 2by ramcharger..and i got them for free...that makes them hard with which to argue

Old 07-20-2004, 05:48 PM
cwoods
Rookie

Sounds like you need a snowmobile

Old 07-20-2004, 09:59 PM
BULLDOG
Rookie

I'm not sure what you want, 75%+ of your driving is in the snow and winter harsh conditions. This seems to be a no-brainier; purchase a snow tire? The best we have ever found is something in a mud terrain. I haven't had any problems with ware, but I'm sure that they don't ware as well as a highway tire. Personally I would like the insurance that the tire that I choose is designed for the job. Tires that perform in all situations, never perform well or above standard in any situation, they just get the job done sometimes.
Almost seems that you are more worried about the bit of wear that you will encounter in the 3-4 months of fair driving. So I think that I've come up with an answer to solve this problem, buy some of these "MattTracks" for the 9 months of nasty weather, and a set of highway tires for the other 3 months. Win win situation!

Quick Reply: Best All Around Winter A/T tires on the market