Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Fishing speaker wires into doors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 04:41 PM
nizl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fishing speaker wires into doors?

Hey all, so I recently purchased an '04 Dodge Ram 1500.

I'm trying to fish speaker wires thru the stock rubber boot connecting the door to the chassis. I'm not having too much luck.

Anybody done this successfully??

Old 07-29-2004, 05:31 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Fishing speaker wires into doors?

Do you have the door panel off? How big are the wires you are running? Have you stopped to see if the stock speaker wires are there, and if you can use those?

Old 07-29-2004, 06:46 PM
dodgeramnz
Professional

you could try the following,

disconnect a wire of anything on the door side,
attach a draw wire to it securely and pull it back through the rubber into the vehicle,
attach the new wires you want to go to the door to the draw wire and pull it all back through to the door.
should work fine

Old 07-29-2004, 07:32 PM
nizl

disconnect a wire of anything on the door side,
attach a draw wire to it securely and pull it back through the rubber into the vehicle,
attach the new wires you want to go to the door to the draw wire and pull it all back through to the door.
should work fine
Have you tried this? I'm asking seriously. I tried to do this and it looks like they're clamped or taped in the middle of the boot. I'm wondering if this is just a suggestion or something you've actually done to yours.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:32 PM
nizl

[dup post]

Old 07-29-2004, 11:16 PM
BULLDOG
Rookie

Oh how I remember this job. I actually have yet to do it on a truck, but I believe that Jeep is the exact same thing, sure looks like my truck, and I did this on a Jeep Cherokee.
So here was my method, if someone has a better solution without drilling let me know. First I pulled the the boot from the door and the post, and yes I'm sure they are taped together, in addition there are 2 more seals. So now I carefully insert a pair of tiny long needle nose pliers into the jam seal and spread it open, I insert a piece of .30-.35 "MIG" welding wire, now I fish that through the external boot, and again through the door seal. I usually puncture the speaker wire with the hard wire to insure a solid connection, and just carefully pull it though.
Absolute pain in the ***!

Let me know, how it works out, or better ideas!

Old 07-31-2004, 02:14 AM
crcarch
Professional

I finished installing door speakers in my 04 QC a few months ago. Major pain. I've found that what's great for manufacturing isn't so easy to deal with doing aftermarket stuff. The door wiring passes through the door in a normal fashion into a rubber sheath, but this terminates into a plastic harness which plugs into the body. No passing of wires was possible for me. Also, it was nearly impossible to get to the back of the body at this location behind the kick-panel, especially on the passenger side which is buried beneath all kinds of equipement, wiring and insulation. If I had been able to get at it, I'd have used the stock wiring from the kick panel through the door. No can do. I ended up cutting through the sheath where it enters the door and cutting a hole in the body plug in the jamb on the body. The drivers side is blank and the passenger side has the antenna wire passing through it. I then put a small piece of wire loom over the new speaker wire and it looks fine.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Fishing speaker wires into doors?