Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Dodge 2500 tranny trouble question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 01:01 AM
smitty316
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge 2500 tranny trouble question

I have an 97 Dodge 2500 with a 360 V-8 and 82000 miles. I have experienced my first transmission problems since new. My tranny wont shift into 4th or sometimes even 3rd when it is warm ( usually takes 20 miles or so) And once I lost second gear after 4th and 3rd trying to get home. It does'nt happen all the time or on short trips around town. My check engine light came on and the code was for "torque converter lock-up" Once the truck sits a while, it shifts through all the gears. Although shifting is'nt smooth all the time, sometimes I have to let up on the pedal and then it shifts. Anyone have similar problems? or can anyone point me in the right direction. I changed all the tranny fluids and put in a new filter. I'm hoping this might be electrical. Old fluid seemed fine.
thanks smitty

Old 08-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Snafu
Default RE: Dodge 2500 tranny trouble question

My '97 2500 started doing the same thing. I got it home and parked it for a week. When I started it to begin working on it, it started spraying trans fluid out of the bellhousing at high pressure. From everyone I've talked to, when it starts goofing up shifting it's done. I'm pulling my auto out and replacing it with an NV4500 manual.

Good luck with it.

Old 08-05-2004, 03:24 AM
smitty316
Default RE: Dodge 2500 tranny trouble question

Thanks for your responce Snafu, I'm really having a hard time pulling out the tranny, when it still
works sometimes and acts up only after 20 miles or so, sometimes. I keep thinking that it has to
be electrical or the cooler is plugged or something. I really dont trust most tranny guys enough
to drop it off somewhere and say "fix it" because they all think its something differnt.
Anyone else out-there had tranny problems like mine, I would like to try something.

Quick Reply: Dodge 2500 tranny trouble question