Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Those Darn Hub assemblys

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 08:37 PM
Rusty Nurf Bar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those Darn Hub assemblys

Hello, Im still pretty new to the forumn and such and just want to say hey and express my gratitude for this incredible resource (dodgeforum.com)

So Ive been doing soom lookin for how-to's for the driver side hub assembly and Ive found a decent one from pavemntsucks, if any one would like to post any others I would greatly appreciate but Im also concered, as I read the other related threads peoples hub assemblys always tend to go out after having some work done, I.E. mine mysteriously went bad right after I got a Skyjacker 5" installed others right after having tires put on etc. Is it seriously that fragile of a piece or is some sabotage at work here Im seriously considering doing this myself Ive done water pumps and other things but never a hub assembly, my only big conceren is maybe not having the right tools, I was told theres alot of pounding involved and I dont want to jack anything up Ive got a 155psi 6 gallon and 350 lb torque wrench hopefully thats enough? and also wondering if having the aftermarket suspension might ease or complicate things

thanks guys

Old 12-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Rusty Nurf Bar
Default RE: Those Darn Hub assemblys

I guess this would help I have a 99 5.2 1/2 ton sport with abs all around

Old 12-23-2006, 11:14 PM
bouda

Unbolt the hub assembly and then take a ratchet extention and place it between the back of the hub and something solid on the truck. Let your power steering pump do the work by turning the wheels so the hub is pushed out, you'll have to jack up the front obliviously.
I heard of this techniqe at cumminsforum.com Hope this helps!

Old 12-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Paintdog

My driver hub just went bad at 53k miles on a 2003. This is not considered part of the "powertrain" so I have to pay for it out of pocket. I'm very upset.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:03 AM
johnalm
Rookie

we use a socket with a peice of 1 inch steel stock welded to it. placethe socket on the hub bolts. make sure the hub bolts are flush with the outside if the bearing so there is enough tread to take the force. in reply to paintdog, powertrain is engine, trans, rear axle and drive shaft. even most of the service contracts dont cover front hubs on 4x4's. but they cover front bearings on spindled 2wd. i have never understood that.

Quick Reply: Those Darn Hub assemblys