Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Desperate need of help....

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Idaho Dodge 1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desperate need of help....

I have a 2005 dodge 1500 quad-cab 4x4. My truck will not start unless the temp is over 35 deg for a couple of days. I thought I needed a engine heater but the dodge service shop says I don't. They just want me to bring it in. Last time I took it in it cost me $600+ to get it back. I turn it over and it smell like fuel is getting to the negine but it won't start. I bought a new battery that has the best cold cranking amps but that didn't fix the problem. I'm ready to burn it to the ground.......Need help!

P.S. The engine is a 4.7 Ltr. Magnum V8.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:03 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: Desperate need of help....

Is the engine turning over quickly or slowly? If quickly, I don't think a battery is the answer, instead I would look at the baro sensor (map). It may be sticking, but for that matter, many things could be sticking when it's cold. The reason I thought of it first, is it's affected by the weather. Should be easy enough to ckeck, just unplug the connector and try to turn it over. I'm not sure where it is on your truck though. Do you have a check enging light or any other noted problems? You said you smell gas, did you check to see if you have a spark? If you do, then it probably is a sensor malfunction effecting the timming, fuel/air mixect. You could also look at the EGR valve. If it's stuck open with a cold engine, it would be difficult to start it. Here is somthing I have never tried on a fuel injected vechicle, but it's a thought. Have you tried a squirt of eather (should help turn it over if the EGR is stuck if shot in the air intake (with no air filter in the way))

Old 01-22-2007, 02:20 AM
Idaho Dodge 1500

The engine does turn over quickly. I've tried to place a heater in the engine compartment and it started but was sluggish and then died. I started it yesterday after a week of not running and drove it with no problem but then last night the temp droped to 12 deg. and no go today. I can't seem to locate the EGR valve. I have a disk that shows everything but the location. I checked the airbox and the filter is good and no sighn of ice. When I turn the ignition on all the light come on then go off. After I tried to turn it over the engine light came on and stayed on. I'm afraid that if I get it towed in to the shop it will start and they will tell me there is not a problem and I'll be out the towing charge....Any help is greatly apreciated....

Old 01-22-2007, 08:04 AM
shdw2001h

There is a TSB out for the PVC system.
Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System Freezes In Extreme Cold Ambient Temperatures
here is some information i found on alldata.com I hope this helps out.

Emissions - Driveability Concerns in Extreme Cold

NUMBER: 25-001-06
GROUP: Emissions
DATE: Feb. 1, 2006
SUBJECT:
Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) System Freezes In Extreme Cold Ambient Temperatures

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing revised PCV system components.

MODELS:2002-2005 (DR) Ram Truck

NOTE : This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with 4.7L engines, sale code "EVA".

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some customers operating in extreme cold ambient temperatures (Below 0°F or Neg. 18°C) may experience moisture collecting in the PCV system and freezing. This can lead to a variety of cold engine crankcase venting or driveability symptoms.

DIAGNOSIS:
If a customer indicates that they are experiencing any cold engine crankcase venting or driveability symptoms, perform the Repair Procedure

Old 01-22-2007, 12:47 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

That TSB sounds like a match for your problem! A quick test, remove the valve and try to crank the engine. Of course thats only to verify the problem, I wouldn't suggest to drive around with the PCV disconnected. You could also try to thaw the valve with a hair dryer.

PS here is a gov link for TSB's, hope it helps you!

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

Old 01-22-2007, 01:13 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Even better, here is a link directly to the TSB (with no charge as on the .gov site)
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Chrysler/...000_25-001-06/

Old 01-22-2007, 02:27 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

1st off go to hemitruckclub.com and on the left side of the screen are links to download the FSM. I recommend downloading the '04 & '05 FSM's as the '05 is missing some text for the diagrams.

what i'd recommend doing is
1) check for spark... no spark then...
2)check the crank position sensor... with the motor being able to run but cold, take some freeze spray and spray the crank sensor and see if it stops the motor from starting or if the motor wont run, take a blow dryer to the crank sensor and heat it up. once it's warm try & start it.
3) you can do the same for the map sensor if you like but I suspect it's either coil or crank sensor related... if you have a coil on plug setup (1 coil for each cylinder) than look at the crank sensor 1st.

Quick Reply: Desperate need of help....