Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

General questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Blueramgrl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General questions

Hey everyone. I don't have a ram yet but I REALLY want one as a nice off-road play toy. The problem is I don't know much about cars/trucks or basically anything with a motor. What kind of things should I be looking for when I look for a Ram. I want a 90's version. I like those better than the current. I also want extended cab and 4X4 that I can put a lift on. If you have any ideas or suggestions that would be great.

Thanks a lot!!

Kelli

Old 08-17-2004, 07:07 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: General questions

Sounds like you have your mind made up for the most part. I'd try and get one with a 5.9L engine. That's my only suggestion.

Old 08-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Snafu

Look for a 3/4 ton with the heavy duty weight rating. Get one with a DANA 60 model front axle. It's the big heavy duty one, and will hold up to off-road a lot better than the 1/2 ton. I'd definately go with a 5.9L or a Cummins, depending on how much you want to pay. If you can, look around and try to find one with a manual transmission because the automatics are JUNK. That combination will be pretty much bulletproof and cause you the least amount of trouble in the long run.

That pretty much describes my Ram, or it will soon. I use mine to pull a car trailer, and I've got all the heavy duty equipment in it. It held up well until that junk automatic transmission died at 78,000 miles. I'm putting a 5-speed in it now so I don't have to worry about it again.

If you have any questions or need any advice, send me a private message here. I deal heavily with off-road motorsports, and would be happy to help you out.

Old 08-18-2004, 11:52 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What tranny you going with?

Old 08-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Snafu

NV4500 HD out of a 2000 Ram 2500. The '98-newer is SUPPOSED to have the same 29-spline output shaft as the automatics. From everything I've found it should be a relatively easy bolt in once I find all the parts. I'm taking pictures as I go, and I might do a tech write-up here when I'm done.

Old 08-18-2004, 05:24 PM
Blueramgrl

Thanks a lot. Yeah for the most part I know what I want, at least cosmetically I do. Yeah, I am thinking about getting one with a manual transmission. The only problem with that will be learning to drive it. But I can do that.

Old 08-18-2004, 06:06 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Driving a manual isn't as hard as many people think. When you first start out just let the clutch out easy while giving it a little gas and get the feel for it. Once you learn, you never forget. You'll be able to drive any car/truck in the world!!

Old 08-18-2004, 06:57 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I taught my daughter to drive a manual, and now she owns a 5 spd car. She loves it!!

Yes, get the 5 speed.

Old 08-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Snafu

The best way I've found to teach people to drive a clutch is to go to a flat, empty parking lot and practice without ever touching the gas. You just slowly let out on the clutch until it's fully engaged. You'll probably stall it a bunch of times til you get the hang of it. What this does is teach you to get a feel for the vehicle. When you can begin stopped, and get it up to 3rd gear without hitting the gas or stalling it, you'll be able to drive anything. Good luck!

Quick Reply: General questions