Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Brake lights remaining lit

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 03:14 PM
nateblong
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights remaining lit

Ok well here goes. I just had the entire dash out of my 2000 ram V8/autoto change the heater core. I am sure that I reinstalled EVERTHING properly. After driving about a mile the brake light and abs light popped on in the dash. Then I noticed that the rear brake lights where remaining lit. I reset the computer, lights went off, about a mile later the abs and brake light back on and rear brake lights are on. So today when I got to work (drove the whole way with the brake lights lit), I had to unhook the battery so it wouldnt leave the brake lights lit all day and drain my battery. I mean what the Hell???? If anyone has a suggetion or knows what could be caushing this please let me know. I am not getting any error codes from my pcm. Thank you..

Old 02-16-2007, 09:57 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brake lights remaining lit

Your brake light switch probably popped out of it's mount. Follow the brake pedal up under the dash. The brake light switch should either be hanging, or the plunger depth needs to be reset.

To reset the plunger depth, press the brake pedal down a few inches. No need to bury it into the floor. Now, the little plunger on the brake light switch can be pulled out. When you pull it, it will "click". It will sound like it's breaking...lol. Those clicks are the detents on the plunger that maintain the correct depth. Now GENTLY release the brake pedal and let it return slowly. Do not snap it. You will hear the plunger being set to the correct depth.

If the brake light switch needs to be reinstalled, I am quite sure you mate the switch with the bracket at a 45 degree angle. Then turn left or right, 45 degrees to lock it.

Don't quote me because I am not super familiar with the newer years.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:46 PM
nateblong
Professional

Thank very much !!! I wont be able to check it till after my son goes to bed tonight but it sounds like that is my problem. Thanks so much. Ill let you know it that fixes it. TY..

Old 02-17-2007, 02:59 AM
nateblong
Professional

Alright that was the problem the clip was broken on one side and the switch was out of the socket. I zip tied it till I can get another one on monday. Diesel Demon you are the man. Thank you very much for your diagnosis. The Dodge is Back...lol

Old 02-17-2007, 07:08 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your welcome. Glad it all worked out.

Good luck with your ride.

And just FYI, I would post in the section that pertains to your particular Ram. You get answer like 10 x as fast...lol.

Ok, take care.

Quick Reply: Brake lights remaining lit