Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Check engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 09:34 PM
bones73
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine Light

Ok so I went to the car wash today and decided while I'm there I'll wash the engine with their engine wash stuff, since it's been a long time since the last washing. Anyway after I left I noticed the check engine light was on................what gives. The truck has almost 89000 miles on her,and I've had the truck since 19000. Odds are it is something stemming from the engine washing but it has me a little baffled. I'm not sure but are Dodge's like some other vehicles where the check engine light comes on after a set amount of mileage? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-22-2004, 09:36 PM
bones73
Default RE: Check engine Light

Sorry folks I guess I should tell you it is a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2l
thanks

Old 08-24-2004, 12:39 AM
rambo97
Rookie

Bones, its funny I read your post when I did: Im havin the same exact problem!
There was a horrendous rainstorm this weekend where I live in Massachusetts... I drove my 1997 Dodge ram 1500 5.2L with 92K on the odometer, up to NH ( about 30 miles) through the literally blinding rain! I went thru flooded roads and some big puddles with some spashing that reached well up to my roof... I got to NH fine... but when I started her up again later that day, my check engine light came on... I drove it home that day and it ran pretty much fine the whole way, but I took it to my mechanic today so Ill Write ya back tomorrow or the next day with what was wrong with it...
Seems like maybe mine and your problems might be similar or the same (water in the engine area led to check engine light)...

I did notice my truck was sluggish in overdrive... kinda like it didnt really wanna go into overdrive and would sputter a little bit once it was just into overdrive.. did you notice this at all with your truck??? at about 45-47 mph when the truck switches from 3rd to overdrive it kind of was lethargic and unresponsive... maybe thats my check engine problem......

Old 08-24-2004, 02:58 AM
animl

My 97's engine light always pops on... had it checked and nothing is wrong. We turn it off... a month later its on again. I ignore it now.

Old 08-25-2004, 12:22 AM
rambo97
Rookie

hey, got the truck back from the mechanic today, turns out the engine light was on due to an O2 sensor that was shot... check it out guys.. it may be that

Old 08-25-2004, 12:55 AM
animl

yep.. mine always said O2 sensor, but when checked.. it was fine. I disconnect the battery and it turns off for a few months.

Quick Reply: Check engine Light