Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

1995 dodge ram 318 motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 08:25 PM
yfzsparks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 dodge ram 318 motor issue

I first bought the truck 4 months ago. Since I first bought it the motor was smoking quite bad and oil pressure was quite low.. Whenever I drove it for longer then 15 minutes or so or until the oil warmed up. I stop anywhere aka a stop sign/red light etc, the oil pressure would drop down to 0 according the oil pressure gauge but the truck would not stall but would sound pingy a bit.. The ping would continue whenever I drove it.

I brought the truck to my girlfriends dad who has been working on trucks for quite some time and asked him if he could take a look at it.. Once he pulled the motor apart, he said the crank was in a little rough shape and needed work along with the crank bearings amung other little things.. He replaced the crank bearings, got the crank work done by halifax engines, here in nova scotia, cleaned up the bottom end, replaced the oil pump and replaced the CAM in the motor.. The lobes on the cam were in rough shape..

What we thought caused all this damange was maybe a peice of metal out of the block got floating around and did some damange. Anyways to end this story here the motor was put back in the truck and started, sounded great.. the pingyness is gone which is a good sign.. Drove it about 500 kms or so.. very easy.. never going past 2500rpm. Then guess what.. the same thing happens all over again.. Oil pressure heats up and drops down to 0 whenever I stop somewhere for more then 2 seconds with the truck on of course.

I changed the oil 2 times since then and since the rebuild the motor only has 2500km's on it. ANYHELP or ideas on what could be the cause of this would be great.. As it sits when the motor is cold the oil pressure is at the half way mark.. 275. when it gets warm.. driving the oil pressure is around 220.. then its 0 when its warm and at idle..

as a side note.. the whole bottom end was pretty much cleaned and redone.. pistons, rings, seals, head gaskete.. etc.. so post up on what you think could be the cause..

Old 03-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Default RE: 1995 dodge ram 318 motor issue

What oil were you using?

Old 03-02-2007, 06:55 AM
yfzsparks

castrol 10w30..

Old 03-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

How much under did they grind the crank?
What bearing clearance did you use?
Did you have the rods rebuilt?
When a motor starts knocking the big end of the rod will strech a little and be out off round so you need to grind the cap a little the redo the bore.
If the rod bore wasn't right it would fail again very quickly.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:47 PM
yfzsparks

Im not sure how much under they ground the crank.. but I will find out for sure..
Same goes for the ebaring clearances.. no idea there eather.. but I will find out.
Same for the rods.. but im thinking that they were rebuilt aswell.. if not im going to be a little raged..

Old 03-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: yfzsparks

Im not sure how much under they ground the crank.. but I will find out for sure..
Same goes for the ebaring clearances.. no idea there eather.. but I will find out.
Same for the rods.. but im thinking that they were rebuilt aswell.. if not im going to be a little raged..
Old quote: "If you want it done right you have to do it yourself"

Quick Reply: 1995 dodge ram 318 motor issue