Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

what the heck is limited slip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 12:03 AM
twowheelfury
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what the heck is limited slip?

i want a locker for my '04 1500 4x4. i found out from 4wheelparts.com that the ram has a chryl 9.25 rear end. the only lockers made for it are a Auburn($375) and Detroit($530). Both are little high price for me and require experienced installation. I had a quick lock in my chevy and loved it but they don't offer it us us. The tech recommened a "posi-lok" but i read the details on the web site but it doesn't sound sound like what i want. can anyone shed some light on the locker deal, i'm not an offroader but like to have the ability. i don't like to turn a corner and only the inside wheels spins, i can't get sideways very good.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:29 AM
Snafu
Default RE: what the heck is limited slip?

The Auburn is a limited slip. Basically, it works off clutches. When you're on the throttle, and one side starts to spin, the clutches engage and send power to the side that isn't spinning to equal out the traction. This is usually a smooth transition, amount of power transfer is dependent on how much throttle you give it, and is the best system for the road.

The Detroit is a full locker. It's a mechanical system. When you get on the throttle hard, mechanically "locks" up. When it does, it sends full, equal power to both wheels and won't disengage until you get off the throttle. This is more of a serious off-road setup. If you drive a vehicle rough on the road, you won't like it. It will clunk and bang and spin the inside tire in normal turns if you drive it hard on pavement.

Old 08-26-2004, 01:05 PM
twowheelfury

is there any other options? i really don't want to have to set any ring gears and worry about backlash.

Old 08-26-2004, 02:01 PM
mstew77

not to be an *** but if you don't know what a limited slip is why do you need one?

Old 08-26-2004, 02:02 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

Buy a 2500 or 3500.
They have true lockers.

Old 08-26-2004, 04:42 PM
Snafu

ORIGINAL: twowheelfury

is there any other options? i really don't want to have to set any ring gears and worry about backlash.

Best way to go is with a PowerTrax LockRite. This unit is a mechanical ratchet-style locker, and only replaces your spider gears. You can usually install it in the vehicle without having to remove the carrier from the axle. Your part number should be PT 1220 for your truck. It's not as strong as a Detroit or Auburn, but it'll get the job done and is usually a LOT cheaper.

Old 08-27-2004, 04:16 PM
twowheelfury

that PowerTrax LockRite sounds great, is there a web site or a dealer for them? i have never seen one on 4wheelparts.com. thanks

Quick Reply: what the heck is limited slip?