Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Engine light ON - NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:04 PM
LBs Laramie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine light ON - NEED HELP

hey, i was trying to fix my turn signal yesterday, and was unsuccessful in removing the headlight harness - anyway, after my attempt, the engine light went on and remained on while driving last night. however, this am the light went out - could that have had anything to do with the hood being opened, unhooking the headlight wire etc?? i was ready to bring it in this am to have a diagnostic, but now, nothing... any thoughts??? THANKS!

Old 03-27-2007, 01:56 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: Engine light ON - NEED HELP

I am not aware of any engine codes that are caused by the hoodbeing opened, or headlight harness being disconnected. I have heard that some vechiles do monitor tail lights and such via the BCM. You could always test this by unplugging a headlight and turning on the truck. If the light comes on, go to Auto Zone and have the code read for free.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:30 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star
Default RE: Engine light ON - NEED HELP

Maybe I'm wrong, but if your 03 is like my 01, and you have the digital odometer you do not need to go anywhere to get the codes read. For my 01 Ram 1500 I use this process to see my codes.

With the vehicle in park I turn the key to on (do not start), turn off, turn on,turn off, turn on and leave on. The error codes will show up in the digital read out of your odometer.

Then you just need to do a DODGEFORUM search for the indiviudal code numbers and someone else's post will probably list what the code means. If you do not find it here, then search for diagnostic codes and the info can be found online.

Also, for my 01, when the check engine light comes on and then goes off on it's own it is because the issue is no longer present with the vehicle. Mine does it after starting and driving the vehicle 3 times then shutting the truck off.

Quick Reply: Engine light ON - NEED HELP