Dodge Ram The full size truck that leads the way in innovative and unique styling, the Dodge Ram. With best in class available horsepower, the Dodge Ram out runs any competitor.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Mall of Georgia

Thinking of Purchasing new Ram

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 02:42 AM
SSgt1234
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thinking of Purchasing new Ram

I am going to assume you directed that question on liking of the dodge to me....

I really like my truck. When I am state side I often have to detail vehicles for visiting dignataries (I am part of the motor pool), and as a result I can never seem to be bothered to even wash my own vehicles. I just got done washing waxing and detailing the exterior of the my vehicle... true i took some short cuts, but they are not anything you would notice unless you did this kind of thing regularly or were really into car detailing...

My truck is a hemi with the sport package (not a hemi sport... totally different thing). It only has the 3.55 rear end so is not as keen on spinning the tires and the acceleration is not as good from 20 to 40 as i would like... for some reason the Hemi seems to ride out more like a cammer engine... although it could be that the trucks I drive at work are all deisels and have insane low end. If you get a truck with the 20's from the factory they come with the 3.92 and are far more keen to smoke the tires. be aware though that a lot of dealers put 20s on plane trucks cause it bumps up their retail a great deal whilst not changing their invoice much (there is a lot of mark up in those wheels), so whilst it makes it easier to finance the vehicle if you have inequity, and you have a better looking truck, you also need to keep in mind that such a package erodes acceleration even further (the 20 inch tires are about 2 inches taller overall than the base 17's)

Right now I am seriously thinking about getting some F-150 harley davidson edition knock off wheels wih plain center caps, some stock 20 inch tires and a lowering kit... The stock billet 17's seem woeflly inadequet in those wheel wells....

Course whilst i am dreaming I am also going to get and E-4B

Holla back

Old 09-04-2004, 04:01 AM
cdubya

what kind of military trucks have the "insane low end" are you saying they are quick? What kind are they? I have been in the military for 11 years and have never seen this. I assume you are Air Force judging by your name. I am army. What do you guys get that we dont? Besides a Starbucks at every base.

Old 09-04-2004, 04:32 AM
SSgt1234

well mostly I have been driving 923s because some supply clerk did not get the message about playing nice and not screwing the blue suiters when they got in country and that they would not understand the joke if ou handed them DRMO assets... Or at least I am assuming that because it was either that or som body was trying to get us all killed. We had close to 20 breakdowns on our trip up from Kuwait with the Army prepped asstes we were handed and that was just my serial. That coupled with the fact that there was no vehicle armor available for us and we had to "acquire" our weapons and com systems makes me leary of this new age of inter service interoperability.

I will admit being an Airman on the ground running convoys in gun trucks and receiving close air support from the army was kind a trip. Little backwards, but hey.

Anyways enough sniping...

I am not sure what the mil designation is but there is a version of the silverado pickup with troop seats and blackout lighting. it runs the GM (Isuzu) turbo deisel.

Also when in garrison our fleet is almost entirely made up of civillian vehicles so we also have Diesel Rams and F series superduty trucks.

Old 09-04-2004, 12:13 PM
blakehodges83

YZF,
I was kind of in your position a few months ago. I was a ford guy all they way. And i still love fords. But when i was looking at just buying plain reg. cab swb, the ford was outrageous. I was looking at the reg cab f150 stx, w/ just a few add ons, cd player, carpet , but no power. The cheapest i could get the ford down to was 20.5k. Where as i got the ram w/ the 4.7, black, w/ the sxt pkg. basically cd player, nicer seat, chrome wheels, auto, and all that for 15.5k. So i bought my first dodge. I love it, once i hit 3k miles it felt like the motor broke in, and for the 4.7, in the single cab it feels pretty peppy. The main difference i notice that you give up w/ dodge is the quality of the interior. The dodge has a little cheaper feel to it, and the doors just don't have that good secure feeling shut of that of a ford. BUT, it is a great pickup to my knowledge. That is the pickup i wanted and needed, and at a helluva price. It was a no brainer. Ohh yeah, ford has always had a little bit more of a torquey feeling engine to me, but i have actually put the 4.7 to work decently hard a few time 5k+ lbs. And it did incredibly well for a smaller engine. I am now proud to own a dodge. And thinking in a few years when funds become available" when the wife and I graduate college". I am going to opt for the cummins. Everything has its pro's and con's. But dodge was definetely right candidate on my truck purchase.

Quick Reply: Thinking of Purchasing new Ram