Dodge Sprinter The Dodge Sprinter is all function, with styling cues from the Dodge Truck line, it makes the workaholic's job much easier. Check out the Dodge Sprinter in showrooms today!

The Sprinter for urban van-dwelling: what's best?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:07 PM
van_man_1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Sprinter for urban van-dwelling: what's best?

I'm planning to get a new Sprinter 2500 to use to explore new places, mostly towns (while on vacation)... and did consider a motorhome conversion (class B), such as the Sportsmobile (they look pretty nice to me)... The question is, is that the best way to go about it, since I won't be doing much camping in the traditional sense, but rather will mostly be parking the van overnight in urban areas not necessarily meant as camper sites. Did some reading, and it looks like that in cases like mine *stealth* is the way to go (it doesn't attract undue attention as an RV inappropriately parked or as a promising vehicle to break in for those bad guys looking for valuables...) as opposed to having something that advertises "luxury van filled with valuables and people sleeping in it at night."

So, has anyone here used a Sprinter for this type of thing and how did you do it? (Passenger van? Cargo van? How did you modify it, etc.)
Your suggestions will be much appreciated.

Mike

Old 08-09-2007, 01:12 PM
kendall69
Default RE: The Sprinter for urban van-dwelling: what's best?

I just purchased an 07 passenger van ( which looks like an airport shuttle van by the way ).
The blackout windows that come with the van keeps you stealthy.
I use an inflatable mattress - blow it up with a converter plugged into the lighter.
Being a “van” you can park anywhere a vehicle is allowed to park overnight, even camp grounds, because it doubles as a “camper” for showers etc.
It’s no biggie, and saved you a lot of money on the road. The greatest thing is being able to change standing up.
Bring a cooler for you snacks, and drinks, and your good to go.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:18 PM
synergy_58
Default RE: The Sprinter for urban van-dwelling: what's best?

I have a 2005, 140" cargo that I converted to a stealthy minihome on wheels. Most people would never guess that it was my daily driver and that I use it to do weekend, week long, and extended trip traveling as I see fit. I have parked and stayed in campgrounds to Wal-Mart parking lots and have never been bothered by anyone over the past two years. I get 21-24 mpg consistantly, maintenance is afforable and easy, and it's easy and fun to drive. I feel safe traveling in it. I have a queen sized platform bed, a porta potti, ac/dc coleman cooler w/converter, a roof top electric fan vent, and ac/heat unit, two Creation side windows w/screens, one bench seat for two (folds away when not needed), plenty of cabinets, fishing pole rod holders in the ceiling, space for my Honda generator, and many other amenities and creature comforts. Everybody that has seen the inside has commented that they would have never guessed that the van was rigged like it is. I LOVE IT!!! I've owned trucks, vans, suv's, and cars of every brand; the Sprinter van is the best vehicle I've ever owned, bar none!

So, I suppose my response is a resounding YES, get the van and go for it, you'll LOVE it!

Quick Reply: The Sprinter for urban van-dwelling: what's best?