Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

1991 Dodge Stealth SOHC Overheating Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 04:41 PM
crummer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Dodge Stealth SOHC Overheating Problem

I need some help please. I have a 1991 Dodge Stealth SOHC that started to overheat out of the blue. Initial problem occurred when driving home from work. I was sitting in traffic and the heater gauge went to high. At that time the car stalled out. I was able to restart it only by pressing the clutch and gas at the same time and it ran until I let it idle and continued to stall out.

I was able to get it home late that night. I have replaced the thermostat.

Now it starts and runs fine while in idle. I haven't taken it on a highway yet. I did drive it about 5 miles and it still overheated and water poured out of the excess hose and it seemed that the water was boiling in the overflow resivour(sp?). I removed the radiator cap and let the car run to see if it was flowing ok and it didnt' seem like it and eventually it bubbled out of the cap.

I'm at a loss as to what is wrong. The hoses are all hot which means that it seems that it is being pumped through all the way. But what causes all of the bubbles (boiling?) in the overflow? Any help would be apprecaited.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:38 AM
jookie7705
Rookie
Default RE: 1991 Dodge Stealth SOHC Overheating Problem

I had a similar problem a few years back. Try replacing your thermostat. You should be able to get one from AutoZone for around $10-20.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:08 PM
yevgenievich
Captain

i had recently a problem with overheating but i fixed it by adding coolant. Do the fans turn on? Could be that water pump is not pumping anymore. But i would check the fans first. Fans will come on when you turn the ac on so you can try that as a check. If they come one when ac comes on then try driving with ac on and see if it starts to everheat.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Blink_Jason
Professional

I had the Exact problem.. i replaced my thermostat too.. did coolant system flush.. new radiator cap.. all changed nothing.. Water pump! and while your down there change the timing belt!

Old 11-11-2009, 04:05 PM
boogeyman
Default Rad?

Hi, check your rad, it could be blocked.. mine was blocked and the car's temperature rose close to the red line, as long as I kept it below 100 km.. I was fine.. but if I exceeded that speed, it would overheat...

After changing the rad, problem disappeared...

Cheers!
Dex

Quick Reply: 1991 Dodge Stealth SOHC Overheating Problem