Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Thought I had her all sealed up....but no

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:45 AM
kritter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought I had her all sealed up....but no

Hey guys,

I have a SOHC base Stealth which is a solid car driving wise. Leaked oil like a wet sponge when I got it but I did all the seals.
What I replaced: cam seals, cam plugs, front main, oil filter housing seal, waterpump, timing belt, tensioner.

The good: she stopped leaking oil from front main, and cam seals.
The bad: she didn't stop leaking from the valve cover (front) - removed and applied silicone to gasket and refit - no leak on front. I think the rear valve cover is leaking so i'll have to remove and apply silicone there too.

Other Bad: didn't have a coolant leak before I replaced the waterpump, now I get antifreeze smell when driving, once parked after a 25mi trip no visible or profuse leaking but after it sits a while I can see a couple of drips coming off frame rale under belts. Again nothing huge just a couple of quarter size wet spots on the pavement and couple of danglers on frame rale. No smoke, no steam from eng compartment. I did notice a lil coolant on the hard steel line that goes to the overflow (two lines, one capped). But that's not where I see the coolant on the ground.

NOTE: when I replaced the waterpump I used a new o-ring for the tube that runs across the top of the engine. I didn't see where the smaller o-ring that came with the gaskets went and didn't have one come off with the old wpump so didn't use it...[:-]

Old 11-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Danny~G
Rookie
Default RE: Thought I had her all sealed up....but no

check your exchanger on the back over the tranny some times a little will come through there and puddle up. did you put any kind of sealant on the o-ring for the back of the water pump and did you scrap the old gaskit clean off the block.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:26 AM
kritter
Default RE: Thought I had her all sealed up....but no

Exchanger over tranny? Like the thermo housing or behind that? I did scrape and clean the block around waterpump, no sealant on the o-ring. Felt the oring snap into place when I put the wpump on, just replaced front oring, came with two, one small bout 1" and a larger one bout 2", the larger one is the one I put on the cross tube. Do you know where that smaller oring would go? Possibly the other end of the cross tube (thing that runs across top of block)??

As for valve cover, I assume some rtv (silicone) is needed to seal the gasket? Used on the front VC but not on the back, think I'll take the back VC off and rtv it...

Coolant leak will make the overflow low coolant light come on after about 100 miles, I've been refilling it for the last week as it gets low. Not any big spots of coolant after parked just small drips, figure most is leaking while running at speed.

I've seen suggestions to let the rtv skim over before assembling, don't think I did that. Don't think I have in the past on other waterpumps...

appreciate the help...

Quick Reply: Thought I had her all sealed up....but no