Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Twin turbo Stealth questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 09:04 PM
PearlStealthRT_TT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin turbo Stealth questions

I figured i would come in and ask the experts, and owners of twin turbo stealths. I'm looking to buy a first gen R/T TT in pearl yellow. I need to know what i should look for as far as quality of the car...are there any major problems with the car i would run into in the future. Should i get the 5-speed manual or the 6-speed?? i think the 6-speed is a second gen only deal, but its still good to have the knowledge anyway. I heard that the transmissions are weak links on these cars especially the 6-speeds. I figure its just the punks that think they can power shift an all wheel drive car.

Is there anypart of the body that rusts or cracks?? does the glass roof leak?? how high maitinance is the car?? keep in mind its the 91-93 that im looking for. Can i get the red and black leather with the pearl yellow??

If there is anything else you can tell me i would appreciate it very very much.

THANKS GUYS!!

Old 03-01-2005, 07:03 PM
thestealth
Champion
Default RE: Twin turbo Stealth questions

I think with pearl yellow, black is your only option. The 6 speed is only on the second generations. The trannys are not so much the weak link as is the transfer case. The body on my car has held up quite well. I live in Ks and the car has been subjected to salt every winter as the car has been a daily driver it's whole life. Mine is a 92, btw. Don't know about the glass roof, I would guess that it would be prone to leaking, it seems most sunroofs are. The maintenance can be pretty expensive. Dealers charge an arm and a leg to do any work on them, ie. they quoted me over 500$ just to do a plug change (3 plugs require the removal of the intake to change) I declined and did it myself for the cost of plugs. Good luck with your purchase.
ORIGINAL: PearlStealthRT_TT

I figured i would come in and ask the experts, and owners of twin turbo stealths. I'm looking to buy a first gen R/T TT in pearl yellow. I need to know what i should look for as far as quality of the car...are there any major problems with the car i would run into in the future. Should i get the 5-speed manual or the 6-speed?? i think the 6-speed is a second gen only deal, but its still good to have the knowledge anyway. I heard that the transmissions are weak links on these cars especially the 6-speeds. I figure its just the punks that think they can power shift an all wheel drive car.

Is there anypart of the body that rusts or cracks?? does the glass roof leak?? how high maitinance is the car?? keep in mind its the 91-93 that im looking for. Can i get the red and black leather with the pearl yellow??

If there is anything else you can tell me i would appreciate it very very much.

THANKS GUYS!!

Old 03-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Stealth Bomber

Ok, great choice for a car but I am biased. But lets be realistic. You are looking at a 12 to 14 year old car. Twin-turbo's and a whole bunch of electrical stuff. Yes, they are a very costly car to keep. Some of my expenses on a 1993 Stealth r/t tt. Spark plugs "Denso Iridium" a must for these performance cars were $85 for 6. Brakes needed work. Over $500. Spension repairs. Ball joints are not replaceable have to get a whole new control arm on each side $400 dollars each. Performance tires not great for wear and about $200 a piece. Also ask if the car has had the regular 60,000 mile tune up. This requires a new timing belt (not chain) new water pump and a new belt tensioner. This is a must, if not done you must do it. Cost of maintenance "kit $300 to $400 not including probably another $500 in labor. If that belt breaks that is the end of your valves. tink.... tink.... tink.... Whole new upper end would be in your future.

1993 Dodge Stealth Priceless......

No seriously if you do not have a good paying job do not get this car. Fun car to drive and if you are willing to do a lot of the work yourself then buy all means enjoy this awsome performer.

Old 03-23-2005, 05:12 PM
sweetbluDMC

or you could go to www.3si.org and fall in with a great crowd and find out such things like ball joints are replaceable for a reasonable priceand you do not need to replace the whole control arm. the 60,000 mile tune up requires you to change not only thetiming belt and tensioner, water pump, and gaskets, but also the oil pump and front main seal should be done at the same time to avoid having to tear into the engine again in about 15,000 miles. kits for this are sold at www.3sxperformance.com and are not $300-$400 but infact far less.. and labor, well if you are even slightly mechanically inclined there is enough info about doing this on 3si that by the time you are done reading you will be able to do it backwards and forwards in your sleep with one hand ,...,,...,, well you get the idea. yes the six speed was only an option on the second gen 94-96 no you cant get the red and black leather with the pearl yellow but there are enough resources out there that you should be able to do the change over fairly cheaply, no the glass roof is not known to leak at all but the factory sunroof ( the other one) is. definately watch out for the transfer case. there has been a recal on it. also there are 2 different types of transfer casses, a 25 spline and an 18 spline. yes the 25 spline TC was an after thought by the manufacturer and it was added post 94. if you hear a ticking from the engine, don't let it disuade you from buying. it is verrrrrry common in the 6g72 3.0l v6. there a couple fixes for this, one is to run an oil system cleaner through your engine, switch to mobile-1 synthetic oil, and ceep the oil changed religously, buy a turbo timer,and take care of your engine(the cheap way)... buy a set of 3rd gen lifters and drop em in,(the expensive way)...... oh yeah also keep an eye on them rod bearings, these engines have been known to throw them occasionally(more incentive to keep the inside of your engine clean by running an oil system cleaner through about every 4 oil changes or so....in short, the car is only as high maintenance as you let it get..keep it maintained and you will spend less on maintenance...

[IMG]local://upfiles/11173/E1E617A13CA9423A964632DD4E668D3E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11173/465277510EED4E5189F092996545F008.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Twin turbo Stealth questions