Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Intrax Lowering Springs Don't Lower SOHC Stealth

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 PM
granth998
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intrax Lowering Springs Don't Lower SOHC Stealth

I have a '94 base model Stealth and bought some Intrax Lowering Springs, part no. INT-55-1-012. I also replaced my shocks and struts with the standard stock KYB replacements (Shocks - KYB-341183, Struts - KYB-335013). The springs are supposed to lower the car a little over an inch and a half. After installing and verifying measurements, the Intrax springs did not lower the car at all (see picture below).

My mechanic has installed everything correctly. It has been checked and rechecked by 3 different mechanics who are all highly qualified. They've talked with the owner of Intrax, Scott and he is at a loss as to why the springs are not lowering the car. The mechanic gave him the measurements for height of the Intrax springs we received and he verified these are the ones they sell for this car, but what is strange is that the Intrax springs are exactly the same height as the stock springs (see second picture). I asked the owner how it could lower the car if the springs were identical in height and he said it could be due to resistance levels of the springs, but what other explaination is there? I think it's too big a coincidence the Intrax springs are identical to stock springs in height and the car is not lowering.

I'm beginning to wonder if this has always been a problem on the SOHC version of the Stealth but that many people with SOHC's don't bother with lowering springs, so this is not a known problem. Only 1 other post I could find with anyone attempting this on SOHC and the guy said it only lowered his about 1 inch and the ride was very stiff:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-s...g-springs.html

I can return these and get my money back, but am searching for other ideas. Mechanic said they could cut a couple coils off the springs to lower the car, which might work for the back but not for the front springs as there are not as many coils in front to work with and ride will get bouncy. Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Intrax Lowering Springs Don't Lower SOHC Stealth-intrax_before_after.jpg   Intrax Lowering Springs Don't Lower SOHC Stealth-intrax_vs_stock_spring_sidebyside1.jpg  

Last edited by granth998; 04-14-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:14 PM
alan92rttt
Rookie

They should work. All of the NON-Ecs springs are the same across all models of the 3000and the stealth.

I had a friend that had a similar issue a few years ago. They installed intrax on his brothers 3k and it actually raised the car. After lots of playing around they found a problem with the install.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:49 AM
granth998
Default Finally Cut the Coils, Waste of Money

The Intrax springs did not lower my car at all. Intrax owner said it was the first case he'd seen, but agreed sounded as if mechanics had installed them correctly. After reading posts by others on these boards, my conclusion is the following:

1) The drop you'll get with lowering springs is inconsistent. Some get the full desired drop but many others do not, so have to resort to cutting coils (as I did) or just living with the results.

2) The sacrifice with any lowering spring is a harsh ride. In my case, cutting coils resulted in a stiff, bouncy ride.

After dropping nearly a grand on new shocks, struts, lowering springs and the labor from trying to make this all work, I conclude the best course of action to lower the car seems to be coilovers. Coilovers replace the shocks, struts, and lowering springs and you can set ride height, adjustable strut damping, and pre-load. I'm trying to determine what the best coilovers are for my '94 Stealth SOHC. I don't race it, it's just a fun second car for my wife and I, so need something comfortable on the highway. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:41 PM
yevgenievich
Captain

coil overs have to be set and adjusted by somebody who actually knows what they are doing, otherwise it will not even handle any better than before. As far as springs not lowering is possibly because old springs were sagging to begin with.

Quick Reply: Intrax Lowering Springs Don't Lower SOHC Stealth