Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

91 R/T Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 11:29 PM
kmh13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 R/T Help

I own a 91 r/t, it's missing in cylinder 3 and 6 and the coils are new I was told to check to ecu for bad caps but i already replaced them, and I was also told to check toe ptu.

So does anyone in the metro Detroit area that owns a 91 r/t want eo let me use there's to test if that's the problem on mine I dont want it sitting in the garage anymore collecting dust.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:24 PM
thestealth
Champion

The PTU could be bad as well. I had the same problem with my RT...the ecu had the caps replaced. After a bunch of trouble shooting and swapping parts (coils/ptu), it ended up being the ecu.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:25 AM
kmh13

then i was told it could bea loose wire somewhere with the cam shaft or crank shaft senor so i went under there and started wiggling wires and now it runs like a champ i dont get it

Old 09-10-2010, 11:00 AM
thestealth
Champion

Mine was in intermittent problem. Sometimes it would run like a champ, other times it would only run on 4 cylinders. If/when the problem returns, I'm still leaning towards an ECU issue. The cam/crank sensor on a 91 is the same unit located on the passenger side of the engine on one of the heads (can't remember if is the front or rear head).

Old 09-11-2010, 10:54 AM
kmh13

yeah but the price for a new used ecu are outrageous for such a old car

Old 09-11-2010, 11:07 AM
thestealth
Champion

Sometimes you can get lucky at an autoparts stores (OReilly, Autozone, etc.) and pick one up for 2-300 dollars. You can send yours in for a rebuild, I have used http://www.ecmtogo.com/ in the past and have been very pleased with their services.

There are many people in Michigan that own these cars. There is a dedicated Stealth/3kgt in Michigan. http://www.mi3si.org/ This would be a good place to find someone somewhat local to give you a hand.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Girly TT
Veteran

www.avproecm.com lifetime warranty on their rebuild. ~$250. I doubt it's your ptu.