Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

91 Stealth Sound System

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:45 PM
zachyak456
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 91 Stealth Sound System

Hey all, I am a new owner of a 91 Stealth RT and I am really looking to upgrade the sound system. I am not really one who knows my way around the audio equipment and I am looking to see what you guys have to say. What kind of things do you need to get so that you would be able to put in a new head unit? Does anyone have any subs in theirs? What would you guys suggest I look at?

Thanks

Old 09-27-2010, 08:58 AM
thestealth
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really depends upon what you want in a system, something that sounds good and well balanced or something that is simply loud.

Most of the head units (HU) in these cars are what are known as a double DIN set up. Stereo/tape deck on top, cd or eq on bottom. When you get a new HU, you'll either have to get a double DIN one, or find something to fill the remaining space. For my TT, I filled in the remaining space with a boost gauge. On my sons NA, we bought a factory storage pocket from EBAY to fill the space.

For the speaker, the old adage is quite true, you get what you pay for. One small issue, some speakers (for the doors and rear) have large magnets. You may have to make some modifications. For example, I had to add a small spacer behind my door speakers as they interfered with the window mechanism. The rears, I had to remove some material from the ports in the stock enclosure.

For subs, you're really only limited by your imagination, fabrication ability and how much storage space you want to give up. I went with a 10" tucked in hatch. It's out of the way and I didn't lose much storage space. My boy went with 2 15's and he has next to nil space.

Amplifiers, again, you get what you pay for. Cheap amps will tout 6gazillion watts of power, but that is misleading. The key is what their rated RMS is. Briefly, that is the measure of the amplifiers ability to produce continuous wattage.

Don't forget, when searching for amp/sub combos, you have to match the ohm rating.

This is just a quick and dirty intro...there is so much more detail on the web if you want to delve deeper into it.

Good luck

Last edited by thestealth; 09-27-2010 at 09:03 AM.

Quick Reply: 91 Stealth Sound System