Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Stealth caliper clicking

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Doodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealth caliper clicking

Hi, I have a 94 RT NA FWD. WHen I slow down to a stop, I get an alternating creaking, and clickity-clack type noise. I spin pointed it to the rear discs. I turned the rear discs down, and new pads. It is quieter now, no creak, but still some clackity sound. I suspect the pins that the caliper floats on have some play. Is there a shim kit for this, or is this normal? ANybody have an exploded pic of the calipers so I can show my mechanic?

Old 07-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Doodge
Default RE: Stealth caliper clicking

Are Talon and Eclipse calipers the same as the stealth?

Old 07-25-2005, 03:38 PM
thestealth
Champion

The floating caliper should have some play. Try putting a dab of grease on them (the threaded pins) that should give them some cushion.

Are your wheel bearing starting to do bad, my clicked and clacked some when they started to go out.

EDIT: I think I have read that the turbo DSM's have the same brakes as the NA Stealth's, but I am not 100% sure about that.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Doodge

Thanks for the reply theStealth. The wheel bearing sounds logical. I just replaced a one front (root cause was an accident years back & finally deteriorated). Was it your rear bearings? THe sound is only there when I apply half brakes, like when slowing down. I will try the grease on the pin, but I already tried some thin light tape to take up the few thousands slack, but that didn't really work either. What I think I need is an oversized pin. Anybody ever heard of this, cuz the dealer doesn't carry them. ANybody have a pic of the calipers, preferably an exploded pic.

Old 07-26-2005, 12:41 PM
thestealth
Champion

I do know from replacing my pads a few times that the caliper does have a fair about of play in it. Never heard of an oversized pin being required, you may want to go the junkyard and see if you can find a replacement caliper and assembly. This will also give you an oppurtunity to look at another setup to see how much play is there.

When my rear wheel bearings went bad they clicked nearly all the time. They were very east to replace though.

When I get home from work (5:30 central time) I will look in my manual for a breakdown of the rear caliper assembly and see if I can get a scan of it.

Old 07-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Doodge

THanks for your help thestealth . I will look forward to your scan.

Old 07-26-2005, 10:59 PM
thestealth
Champion

Let me know if this is what you need.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1818/5A515DC0211149D7BE7E0707C93CC512.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Doodge

Thanks thestealth, that is perfect. If you could add the front caliper some time, it would be much appreciated. Thanks again for your awesome help!

Old 07-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Doodge

ANother quick question, the letter "N" in the pic, does this designate parts that have been upgraded to a new design level?

-and-

I think I am interested in part #6 the sleeve, but they don't designate the opposite side. From what I remember, the opposite side looks pressed in, but from the pic it should be able to come out. I will try to put some time in this wknd. The pic will be of great help.

WHat do you think about using that graphite type grease on these sleeves to take up some of the slack? I need only a film the thick ness of box tape should do it. I will grease up anywhere I think is needed, being careful to not get any near the pad surfaces of course.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Doodge

One last...you say your rear wheel bearings were clicking when they went bad. I had a front one go bad and the sound was like an increasing whirr with a grinding noise that got louder and louder as you accelerated.

Quick Reply: Stealth caliper clicking