Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Maelthras
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise

I had just bought a 92 dodge stealth es, and drove 400 miles problem free, and then bam. I think it just spun a bearing, the sound is persistant at idle and sounds like, well a bearing spinning around loose inside the engine. The sound coincides with the speed of the engine and is constant. It runs and theres no engine lights on, so what do I do and where can I get a replacement engine if it is a spun bearing.

Last edited by Maelthras; 10-23-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

Where are you located?

Old 10-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Maelthras

Northern minnesota.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

Are you sure it's a spun bearing and not some bad lifter tick? Usually a spun bearing won't start making noise unless the rpms are higher (say above 2500 rpms). It will eventually make noise at lower rpms, but it would have to be driven on for a while before that happens.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Maelthras

I seem to think it was just a very bad lifter tick. Video included. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVUT4XWKcw

Now after a minute of running I revved it to 4k and then the tick went away it seems. Video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STJagOOZkiI

Old 10-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Hans_GZP
Veteran

Take a video of the engine running and you pulling on the throttle cable. Also, how is the oil pressure looking? I would suggest changing the engine oil with something maybe slightly thicker than what might be in there. Also, check the drained oil for any copper flecks in it.

Quick Reply: Engine noise