Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

My Stealth will not start

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 04:59 AM
gidget39
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Stealth will not start

It started out where i would start my car and it would just stall out if i didn't give her gas changed the fuel filter and she ran great for like a month. Then I drove it to work the other day and some douch flipped my lights on and my battery was dead when i went to jump it nothing not a click just my dash lights would come on and after a while my 4 ways started dully blinking but I didn't have them on. Tried putting a new battery in before all that. I have a few ideas of what might be bad but wanted an opinion if someone had like problems i don't have the extra cash to replace parts that don't need it yet ....

Old 06-04-2013, 05:00 AM
gidget39

Its a 94 and a 5 speed non-turbo

Old 06-04-2013, 05:42 PM
go-part
Former Vendor

It sounds like the starter is dead.
If you can, take the parts in question out and have them tested.

Last edited by go-part; 06-04-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 PM
toddrs93
Rookie
Cool

Make sure the battery is reading 12 volts while cranking the car and make sure the battery connections are clean and tight. If those two things are good then it is either the starter or the wiring. These cars are plagued by bad starter system wiring. There is actually a simple fix developed to get rid of the issue.

Ill post the info

Old 06-07-2013, 12:29 PM
toddrs93
Rookie

Many 3S owners have dealt with the click click start issue in our cars. If you haven't, you're lucky.

If you don't know what it is, in a nutshell when you go to start the car, all you get is a click. doing it enough times will eventually cause the car to start. What that basically is, is the starter solenoid not getting enough voltage to engage. It's very annoying, it's embarrassing. One half-*** (IMO) fix was to wire in a relay from the battery to the wires to the solenoid, feeding 12v directly to the solenoid. It does work, but it adds un-needed wiring and doesn't solve the root problem.

The root cause here is the ignition switch. The contacts in it get work out over time, and cause them to wear to the point where they no longer carry the required current to do the job.

What some of you may not know is how easy it is to actually replace the ignition switch, solving this issue once and for all, the RIGHT way. The cost of the 'temporary' fix is usually about $25. OEM ignition switches can be had for around $35, so the cost is not significant.

The biggest gripe I've read on these forums is how everyone says you have to pull the steering wheel to do the ignition switch, etc.. which is far from the truth.

I'll show you how!

You'll need:

Philips head screwdrivers: #2 and a #0
small regular screwdriver
10mm socket and extension, with rachet
Ignition switch: Part# MB629641 $32.88 from Cherry Hill Mitsu as of 4/30/2012
(to the best of my knowledge the part number is the same for all 3S)

The switch:

Report this image

*disclaimer: this worked for me, I've done this on both of my cars to fix their click-click start issues. Please don't blame me if you break something or your car has other electrical problems like aftermarket alarms, etc..

Before you start: Take the key out of the ignition if it's in there. It will get in the way!

Step 1: remove the 'kick panel' under the steering wheel. lever out the mirror and rear wiper switches using your small screw driver. Unplug them and move them aside. Next, remove the two 10mm bolts hiding behind the switches. After that there are 2 more on the underside of the panel (they're right there). At this point the panel will come down, still attached to the hood release cable, which you can remove by removing the two Philips head screws. It doesn't really get in the way, so I left it.

Step 2: Remove the steering column cover. There are three screws on the underside, and then it should come right off, the column has a few snaps that hold it together so be mindful of those.

Here we can see the headlight switch, and the back of the ignition switch.
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

Report this image

Step 3: Remove the headlight switch. Simply pull the two small screws, and let it hang.

This is what you should be looking at now:

Report this image

Step 4: Here's the tricky part. At this point the only thing holding the switch in is a small screw on the back. If you have the new part in your hand, you'll see where it goes.

It's right on the other side of the bundle of wires:

Report this image

The most difficult part is getting the screw out (it's not THAT challenging). It's best if you have a stubby screwdriver, but I didn't so I improvised. there's room to get a longer one in there to get the screw out like so:

Report this image

That gives you a great view of where the screw actually is. at this point, simply remove the screw, the ignition switch will come right out.

Trace the wires going from it, and you'll find a plug (the wires coming off the switch are only 3-4" long). Unplug it, and plug your new one in. before inserting the new switch, make sure the black slotted piece is turned all the way counter-clockwise. It's not hard to turn, it just needs to be aligned so it goes in all the way. Tighten the screw. don't go all crazy on it and break it now.

Step 5: Remove any 'temporary' wiring from the other click-click start fix, and start the car just to make sure things work.

Step 6: Re-assemble everything how it came apart, and enjoy fixing it the RIGHT way and having less wiring in your engine bay!

Old 06-07-2013, 12:32 PM
toddrs93
Rookie

Here's a much easier way that should still resolve the problem
http://www.supercar-engineering.com/...Fix/index.html

Old 06-08-2013, 09:03 PM
gidget39

Thanks for all the feedback i got it actually someone tried to steal it so my silent alarm shut the computer down hahaha so free fast fix were back on the road again

Quick Reply: My Stealth will not start