Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Ignition Timing-How Important??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 02:55 PM
john123123
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Timing-How Important??

The car is a 1992 Stealth with the non-turbo DOHC engine. Have had a problem with a "miss" at certain speeds. Usually it's below 50 mph. Have changed many parts from a blown engine. Replaced the usual(plug's,wires,O2 sensor,fuel filter). This has helped the miss but it still has the miss and the idle is still a little erattic. Yesterday I checked and adjusted the TPS sensor. The next thing I want to do is to check the ignition timing. Was told by a mechanic you should never need to adjust the timing with this engine. Everything that I have read that this is true with the 93 and on engines. Should I check the timing and could this be the cause of my engine problems? Thanks for the advice!

Old 01-03-2006, 08:12 PM
thestealth
Champion
Default RE: Ignition Timing-How Important??

On pre-93 (or is it pre-94) cars, the timing can be set manually. There is a write up on Stealth316 on how do do this. The procedure is the same for the turbo and non-turbo applications. You will need a timing light, a paperclip, grounding wire, and 12mm wrench.

Yes, timing is very important.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:22 PM
jakster
Rookie
Default RE: Ignition Timing-How Important??

Here is something to look at I have similar misfires with my car kind of below 50 mph and a studder. I was told the (COIL TRIGGER) may be the problem. I said the what ????? the coil trigget tells the engine when to fire and they get messed up and the engine misses by firing late or to early as I understand it. Do a Google search type in (coil triggers) and you will find info on this little devil. God what happened to the Malory dual point and the Accel Coil OH I Know about a hundred years of auto development.

Quick Reply: Ignition Timing-How Important??