Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Fans not working right

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 12:55 AM
jakster
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fans not working right

[8D] Hey cheep Jake here still no manual. My fans are not working right causing the car to heat up in traffic stops. The small fan seems to work some of the time. The big fan on the passenger side does not come on at all as far as I can tell. Come on you guys have always bailed me out on problems like this. P.S. good to be back hope to do some Road Rally stuff this fall.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:17 AM
thestealth
Champion
Default RE: Fans not working right

stealth316

Fan switch bad??

Old 07-19-2006, 08:01 PM
fuktifino

Does the fan hum when the coolant temperature is high enough to make it kick on? If so, bad fan motor. Do you have a multi tester? If not, buy a cheap one, it will be the best 10 bucks you ever spent. Check the voltage at the fan when the temp is over 185F. I haven't looked at my fans yet to determine if they are one or two speed units. One speed fans have two wires, two speed fans have three. Check all leads. Turn the A/C on. Does either fan come on? Both should. I have the factory service manuals for the 1992 Stealth. If you want, I can scan the pages that you need and upload/e-mail them. Also check the relays and fuses under the hood. There is a fuse/relay box on either side of the engine bay at the front. The left one (driver's side on American spec) has the A/C relays in it. You also have a temperature switch that tells the fan to turn on and off (only relevent if the A/C fan works but the cooling fan does not). And check the ground wire(s). More electrical gremlins are caused by bad grounds than any other reason. Best of luck to you and let me know if I can be of service.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:51 AM
Epyllion

Had same problem with the passenger fan not coming on.....it is related to a fuse under the hood on the right side...a 30 amp one. (green), check that one first...open the litle cap on top..it might be broke ont the side.
Next, you have 2 black relays in that same area....switch one of them with one that you know is working...like the headlights relay.

When you do all these testings have the AC on..it should turn the main fan on..even if the engine is cold....at least for a moment but it will let you know if the fan is working.

Also...the connection of the 4 wires atached next to the radiator might be melted....and have a bad connection....disconnect it and look at it.

IF the fuses and relays are still good then it could be a temp sensor and the list goes on...but usualy its the litle things.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:20 AM
jakster
Rookie

fuktifino
If you would send me the info you have on the fan that would be great. I tried the stuff you and others posted and no real improvement. Well one the small fan comes on with the AC unit when it runs it did not come on before I messed with the relay and the fuse. I guess its like all Stealth electronics, very sensitive like me hahahahahaha. Anyway please send that stuff to krugerrand38@yahoo.com
Thanks Jake

Quick Reply: Fans not working right