Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Instrument cluster light

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 05:46 PM
falcon66
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster light

(91 Stealth ES) My instrument panel no longer lights up when the headlights are turned on. The headlights pop up and turn on, the turn signals flash, the dummy lights work but I can't see how fast I'm going in the dark. As a note, the radio does not light up like it should when the lights are turned on either.

I cannot find a fuse that just goes to the instrument cluster lighting and all the fuses under the dash look good.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:26 AM
thestealth
Champion
Default RE: Instrument cluster light

Fuses 15 and 19 are the cluster light fuses.

The rheostat (down by the mirror adjustment switch) isn't turned down all the way is it?

Old 11-29-2006, 03:08 PM
falcon66
Rookie

The rheostat was the first thing I checked. I think the fuses for your year are different than a 91 Stealth. The number 15 fuse is not used and 19 supplies other lights that are still working for me.

Any other guesses?

Old 11-29-2006, 03:29 PM
thestealth
Champion

My bad...fuse 11 is the other one for the combination meters. I read the amperage.

If it were a fuse though, I would think there would be other problems besides the lights not working. Is everything else for fuses 11 and 19 working correctly?

You may have to do some old fashioned troubleshooting. Checking the power too and from the rheostat would be where I would start. A simple 12v tester would work fine.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:06 PM
falcon66
Rookie

Turns out the lights don't go through a fuse in the general fuse box under the dash. It routes through the junction box just above but the fuse for the dash lights and the combination lights (corner lights front and back, not including the turn signal and brake functions) are thrugh a fuse in the engine compartment box with the tail light relay. Apparently the guy who did the saftey inspection looking for the horn malfunction pulled the fuses out to check them instead of just using an ohmmeter on the back of the fuse. He put the fuse back in an unused location because there was no map on the box. (that also made it harder for me to identify since I didn't move any fuses to check them)

Old 02-11-2007, 12:45 AM
patriotrat87

Do you have an after market stereo? If so, you may want to mess with the wires behind the stereo, becouse I have a 97 Dodge Strautus and it was doing the same thing and when I went to put a system back in my car I got my watch caught on some of the wires and they have worked fine ever since.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:48 PM
falcon66
Rookie

No it is the stock stereo. Moving the fuse back to the correct location as I stated in my last post fixed the problem.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster light