Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Can an auto become a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:05 PM
otisthebiekr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can an auto become a manual?

Hey there I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 91' dodge stealth black w/automatic transmission and was wondering if any knew if the automatic transmission could be changed into a manual. Is it just a matter of getting a new one? and how much would it be? Thanks for you help.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:30 PM
thestealth
Champion
Default RE: Can an auto become a manual?

Quick answer...Yes

Long(er) answer, you'd need the tranny, clutch pedal assembly, clutch cylinder, shifter and linkages. There is a few odd and end items you'll need too, like the reverse light switch and the kill switch so the car can't be started without depressing the clutch (unless you don't mind if the car will turn over while in gear). I think the axles are the same, but if not, you'd have to replace them as well.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:24 PM
92stealth
Professional

yes it can just a matter of money. its expensive to do it considering you need all new parts since most arent the same. also need alot of time to do it.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:15 AM
thestealth
Champion

You're right 92stealth, but at least everything will bolt up and is available, nothing custom made.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:20 PM
92stealth
Professional

yup, but then you ask yourself, Is it really worth it? then you tell yourself, Dang i should of bought one that was manual already. lol

Old 02-25-2007, 10:46 PM
otisthebiekr

thanks thestealth, you are a great help. Im trying to learn everything that a can about the stealth, from the history to everything about it mechanically. I bought it for 2,000 but is not in mint condition. I will have some time over the next couple of years since im going into the airforce and want to take some time so restore this amazing car. Im pretty talented in such I can work with leather so I am definately going to redue the interior seats and mabye make some leather trim and what not. Ill be posting some pictures up here to of the progress in such as a step by step kind of thing. My first decision is weather to try to keep everything "like" stock or redesign the interior with new colors and such. If you still read this let me know what you think? p.s. I love the ninja thing

Quick Reply: Can an auto become a manual?