Dodge Stealth The car that can still draw looks from auto enthusiasts everywhere, the Dodge Stealth. From the Naturally Aspirated version to the Twin Turbo, the Dodge Stealth has a little something for everyone.

Transmission question (problem)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Jeff7pt62
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission question (problem)

I have a 92 SOHC FWD 5spd with the FN33 tranney. I just had the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, master & slave cylinder replaced. When my mechanic drained the tranny, what came out was more sludge then oil, but NO METALthank goodness. Here is the problem: When the vehicle is cold, all is well. When it warms up (the transmission, not the engine) the gears grind when trying to shift into 1st from a stop UNLESS I shift into 2nd first, then into 1st. Also 3rd was doing it as well, but not so much since all the work was done. I suspect that the lack of good lubricant is the culprit, but it's just a guess. The only syncros are on2nd to 3rd and 4th to 5th. 1st is NOT synchronized, like most standards, thus probaly not an issue. Also, when I took out the old clutch, it was glazed around the outer edge and chewed up looking around the center of the clutch pad. That may have been caused from previous leaking master cylinder and slipping clutch. So, any guess as to why it's grinding [:@]going into 1st? ( the clutch IS fully disingaging as far as I can tell)

Jeff

Old 03-07-2007, 07:56 PM
yevgenievich
Captain
Default RE: Transmission question (problem)

are you sure 1st is not syncronized? mine second grinds in cold because of synchroes

Old 03-08-2007, 02:47 AM
Jeff7pt62

Generally, most transmissions are never snced on 1st due to the fact that your usually sitting stopped when you shift into 1st. I looked in the factory manuals, I'll double check, but I'm almost certain that 1st is NOT synced.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:17 AM
yevgenievich
Captain

probably you right then, the next thing that i would think of is the gear it self ormaybe linkage or something like that. if it's fine when it's cold but grinds when hot, and to think metals expand when get hot, so something is expanding and grinds. sence i havn't seen transmission apart beyond flywheel and clutch i am out of ideas. i'm sure somebody like "thestealth" probably knows more oryou can try http://www.team3s.com/FAQ.htm
actually if it goes into first after second then it have problems disangaging from buttom but not frop top. so maybe it is a gear in there of some sort that is to tight or something(i know i don't make much sence)

Quick Reply: Transmission question (problem)