Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:11 AM
Richards_Keith
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Noise

Hi folks,

My SE 2002 4 cyl has 80 KMiles on it and has been running well so far. I bought it 7 months ago with 74 KMiles. The other day I opened the hood and when I revd the engine by pushing the accelerator cable I noticed a kind of a rattling in the engine when revs dropped. I took the car to several mechanics and ask for advice. Three of them said it was the water pump, tensioner, etc. One said the noise was nornal. Finally, another one said the lower part of theengine was shot... There is neither blue smoke nor abnormal oil consumption, Well, any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:10 AM
st0n3r
Default RE: Engine Noise

mine kinda has a rattle sound also, was told water pump, was told needed new engine but the car seems to run just fine without doing anything to it. i personally think it sounds like something is loose but that is one of the things i had checked along with the idle spurts on mine.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Richards_Keith

ORIGINAL: st0n3r

mine kinda has a rattle sound also, was told water pump, was told needed new engine but the car seems to run just fine without doing anything to it. i personally think it sounds like something is loose but that is one of the things i had checked along with the idle spurts on mine.
Mine alsois running well and has no problem at all. Even the noise I mentioned is unnoticeable, except when you accelerate the engine with thehood up.What's the year and mileage of yours?

Old 04-07-2007, 05:47 AM
tomthedog
Captain

mine is an 02 with the 2.7. i have the rat noise too. on mine the cats are RIGHT after the headers. the elements are loose and rattle. still runs great. happy motoring.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:32 AM
livinginh
Veteran

ORIGINAL: tomthedog

mine is an 02 with the 2.7. i have the rat noise too. on mine the cats are RIGHT after the headers. the elements are loose and rattle. still runs great. happy motoring.
Yep, you got it right, it's your cat converter, sooner or later you will have to replace it. Seems to be a common thing with Dodge products, my Dodge Ram and My breeze both do it. Sooner or later it will break free and clog up. Do it now, makes more back pressure on the motor.

Quick Reply: Engine Noise