Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:30 AM
thermite_rocks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start

My parents '96 strat 2.4L won't start but cranks fine. Dad replaced the spark plugs but not
the wires. He says they are fine. He just passed inspection/emission in PA in February.
The 'check engine light' codes = 5,5 test over nothing detected. It has about 119K miles.
I suggested he atleast try a new set of wires before having it towed to his favorite local shop
but he doesn't agree.

Old 04-19-2007, 04:03 AM
H.P.fanatic13
Default RE: Won't start

When mine wouldn't start I had to just change the battery. Thank god. But mine wasn't cranking hell it wasn't doing anything. every now and then it would try but to no avail. But yeah I just changed my battery and I haven't had a problem since. so its just a thought but you might want to check that out first. your battery might have a bad cell but still enough charge to crank it. It would be cheaper then towing to a shop and them telling you that you need a battery.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:29 PM
voltork
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for spark before replacing the wires. Just pull a plug rest it on the block and watch as you turn the car over, there should be a nice 1/4 inch blue spark, just DON'T touch the plug or wires while its turning over, it hurts.... Bad experiences there...

Old 04-20-2007, 01:25 PM
01indigoR/T
Professional

when he first turned the key did he hear the fuel pump running? should make a humming sound for maybe half a sec or so. if he didnt hear anything then thats the problem, not getting any fuel. its a common problem on cars with that many miles on it. hope this helps

Quick Reply: Won't start