Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

'99 AC issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:34 AM
fclark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 AC issue

Ireplaced the AC compressor on my son's car about a year ago.
Recently (for about a week) the car has begun to "chug" or "shudder" when the AC is on and the car is in gear. When the AC is off, there is no chugging, and ehn the AC is on with the car in PARK there is no chugging.
Any idea what could be causeing this chugging/jerking motion? The serp belt seems fine.
Help is greatly appreocated.
Thanks!
Frank

Old 06-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: '99 AC issue

bad compressor. Did u add the correct amout of oil to the new one? did u put a compressor or just a clutch?

Old 06-12-2007, 03:21 PM
fclark

Sorry....I didn't actually instal the compressor myself........just PAID for it.
It was installed at a GOODYEAR service center in Richmond Va, about one year ago. That would make it either new or fatory rebuilt.
The car crapped out on my kid right in front of GY, or I NEVER would have let him take it there. I don't know about other locations, but the GYs up here in New York are TERRIBLE when it comes to any mechanical work.
Strange how the compressor would die a week after the system was recharged and has operated better than ever.........any connection?
Thanks for responding!
Frank

Old 06-12-2007, 03:51 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

Strange how the compressor would die a week after the system was recharged????
U had it charged up last week? IF so that means there is a leak and oil for the compressor and other items are low and it still locked up the compressor internal

Old 06-14-2007, 12:20 AM
tomthedog
Captain

norm, when car is in "P" it idles higher than when in "D". when the a/c is turned on the idle should kick up to a higher rpm to comp for the extra load placed ion the motor. not sure what triggers the rpm jump, i'd start with fuses and relays, have you checked the search eng on this forum?

Quick Reply: '99 AC issue