Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2004 Stratus

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 04:19 PM
tena2604
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Stratus

Hi, I have a 2004 Stratus that I bought back in October of 03. Back in 2006 I had to have major work done to the transmission (luckily it was under warranty). Now about a month ago now the timing belt broke. Luckily it didn't mess up the valves or the heads, but now we just can't get the car back running right. Since the timing belt broke we have put new spark plugs in, replaced the O2 sesnor andthe MAP sensor. The computer isn't showing anything else wrong with it. Except the ERG valve (?) (I always get the darn letters backwards!) So its the ERG or the EGR...
The mechanic thats doing the work for me has a well known reputation for being one of the best in the area and he is doing everything he can, but he can't find where its even supposed to be on the car.
Also there appears to be a vaccum leak that they are thinking is in the brake lines somewhere because every now and then I'll go to put on brakes and the pedal won't move. When I first crank the car up it runs fine.. Once the engine gets going for about 20 miles it starts sputtering and will shut off when I come to an idle. sometimes not all the time..
The guy working on the car is at a loss.. They are supposed to be doing a smoke test (?) on it to see if he can find the vaccum leak, but as for the rest they are at a loss.. We've replaced EVERYTHING the computer said was wrong..
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks!
Tena

Old 08-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: 2004 Stratus

hey tena u should bring it up to me in Atlanta. HUmm i dont think u have an egr valve thats why he cant find it. The computer can regulate the system enough to get rid of the NOX and does not need an egr. If they put a wrong engine computer in it may be looking for whats no there.
What engine size do u have ne way? how about the last 8 of the vin so i dont stick my foot in my mouth and be wrong.
DO u currently have a check engine light on?? and whats the code from it?

Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 PM
tena2604

Its a 2.4 engine.. The computer they checked it with to see what was wrong.. the one that plugs up under the dash somewhere.... Then there is also I guess some other way to pull codes? That one is the one that said EGR I dont have the vin cause the car is in the shop
the last 4 weeks its been in the shop 3 of them...

Old 08-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain

use your insurance card it has it on there. oh I got ya he just used the scanner not replace a computer. Well if all he is going by is what the computer tells him is wrong he might not know what to look for then the codes only help u go in a drirection they dont tell u whats wrong if that was the case the world would not need mechanics.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:06 AM
tena2604

Yes the check engine light keeps coming on..
Ok well from what I've gathered from the guy's boss.. (who I'm sorry he was speaking something besides english.....) It has something to do with a manifold and the brakes? I dunno.. this guy talks in circles to me.. But I'm assuming that maybe when the timing belt broke it actually hit something else and broke it? They said the O2 sensor had been hit by something and thats why it went out..
I'm sorry I feel like an idiot..
Oh btw.. I am an idiot.. I dont keep an insurance card on me
The computer is saying EGR valve....... but they can't find one on my car..?
I'm soo aggravated with the car if I could find a way to trade it right now.. I would..
If this helps I know it has an interferrance motor..
And I really dunno how I managed to pass spelling when I was in school......

Quick Reply: 2004 Stratus