Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

stratus 98 fuse #5 keeps blowing at high RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 02:25 PM
HitchHiker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stratus 98 fuse #5 keeps blowing at high RPM

I've recently bought a stratus 98 4cylinder 2.0 liters manual. this car had a known issue of blowing fuse #5 pcm/automatic shutdown relay @ rpms more than 3750. After it blows the fuse all the neadles on the gauges freeze till ignition is off, though the lights stay on. After replacing a blown fuse car starts like usual. also radio volume while driving jumps up and down at times .

brought it to the garage and mechanic could not take a reading from the computer. suggested me to change pcm and come back. Alhtough when i start the car all the proper dashboard lights come on and then go offas if computer opeates properly. I checked relays and sockets with multimeter. readings were withing specification; also checked wires and connections for visible damage- nothing there either.

i also noticed that idle rpm is @ 750 , don't know if it is normal.

i think the problem is not a computer or not only a computer and i'm afraid to change this expensive piece just to fry another one right away.

Anybody had similar problem ? Any suggestions, please ?

Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 PM
HitchHiker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: stratus 98 fuse #5 keeps blowing at high RPM

Update

disconnected alternator and could get to 6 mil RPM without blowing a fuse. Engine works really fine, so the problem is located.

will update again when it's solved

Quick Reply: stratus 98 fuse #5 keeps blowing at high RPM