Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

'97 Stratus Upper O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:15 AM
scaredE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '97 Stratus Upper O2 Sensor

The upper O2 sensor on my wife's '97 Stratus is/has gone bad. A mechanic informed me of this recently. The "check engine" light is on also. Anyway, I was curious as to where the sensor was located and how difficult it wouldbe to replace myself. Note: I have little to no experience with working on vehicles. Also, would it be possible for me to clear the "check engine" light/warning without using a code reader? I greatly appreciate the help. Good Times.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:08 PM
lngbrding
Professional
Default RE: '97 Stratus Upper O2 Sensor

scaredE - The upper O2 sensor is right out front and on top of the exhaust mainifold. It's very easy to remove and reinstall but you will probably need a special tool to do it. Most of the Auto stores like Advance and Auto Zone will have this tool and may let you even just borrow it instead of purchasing it. They also, free of charge, can clear the "idiot" light for you. However, until you get the new sensor in, it will just keep reappearing.

Don't get the cheap aftermarket O2 sensor. You'll pay an extra $30 or so, but get one from you local dealership. They are of much better quality.

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 09-19-2007, 05:40 PM
scaredE
Default RE: '97 Stratus Upper O2 Sensor

Mitch,

Thank you for the response. I look forward to using your suggestions and information. I will keep in mind the issue of quality also. Thanks again.

Good Times,

scaredE

Quick Reply: '97 Stratus Upper O2 Sensor