Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 Stratus R/T coupe question

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007 | 10:28 AM
killer1958
Default 2001 Stratus R/T coupe question

Hi, I just joined and have some general questions about the 2001 R/T coupe. I have an opportunity to get one of these, in a trade for one of my other vehicles (a 2002 Grand Am SE sedan). I've never owned a Dodge/Chrysler product before and need some info as to what to look for and lookout for. The R/T has 120k and has the 3.0, auto stick, all power options, leather, sun roof, Infinity multi disc sound system. Appears to be in very nice shape...no rust/dents/etc. Work done recently is: front and rear brakes, new wheel bearing, rear lower control arm, 4 wheel alignment, timing belt and plugs, tranny and cooling system flushes, and new radiator hoses. As I said, I've never owned Dodge/Chrysler before. What kinds of things should I be checking out, or on? I mean specifically for the model. It's a nice looking vehicle, and it seems to be in good shape, but just wondering if there are inherent isues/problems I should be aware of. Thanks and I look forward to joining in the forum.

Old 10-08-2007 | 12:37 PM
lngbrding
Professional
Default RE: 2001 Stratus R/T coupe question

Hey Killer - One of the really unique things about the car that you have the opportunity to purchase is though it wears that Dodge Ramhead badge, it's basically Mitsubishi. 'Was made on the same assenbly line as the Eclipse. Mine is very similar in mileage to the one you're looking at, except I have the manual 5 speed. The things that you mentioned that were recently done to yours are some of the only things that I had issues with. I took the car to my mechanic and made sure before I bought it. (needed brakes / timing belt / radiator hoses / and a top driver's side transmission mount) Other than those, which I used as a bargaining tool prior to purchase, I have not noticed anything else specific. I'm loving mine so far.

Mitch

Old 10-08-2007 | 12:41 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: lngbrding

Hey Killer - One of the really unique things about the car that you have the opportunity to purchase is though it wears that Dodge Ramhead badge, it's basically Mitsubishi. 'Was made on the same assenbly line as the Eclipse. Mine is very similar in mileage to the one you're looking at, except I have the manual 5 speed. The things that you mentioned that were recently done to yours are some of the only things that I had issues with. I took the car to my mechanic and made sure before I bought it. (needed brakes / timing belt / radiator hoses / and a top driver's side transmission mount) Other than those, which I used as a bargaining tool prior to purchase, I have not noticed anything else specific. I'm loving mine so far.

Mitch
+1

My previous car was an 02 Stratus R/T coupe - 5spd 3.0L, lowered, and it was a great car. The things you want to be looking at are the timing belt (all the belts in general) and the condition of the motor mounts. These cars are supposed to get a new timing belt at about 80-110k, and its very expensive to have done, about $400-600 depending on what shop you go to.

All in all, its a fairly roomy car for primarily a 2 person fit. The back seats are worthless for anything but thats how most coupes are.

Old 10-08-2007 | 03:02 PM
nate_0022
Captain

The info aboce pretty mcuh covers everything, Another thing is our dashes seem to crack fairly easy, even though I haven't had a problem with mine.

Old 10-08-2007 | 03:08 PM
killer1958

Thanks for the replies and info. I'm looking forward to owning one of these. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: 2001 Stratus R/T coupe question