Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

no spark / won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 05:05 PM
wrenchmonkey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no spark / won't start.

Hello Stratus fans.[/align][/align]I have a 2000 Stratus with the 2.4 DHOC.[/align][/align]Water pump went out. [/align][/align]Replaced water pump and timing belt at the same time.[/align][/align]Now car won't start. Check spark has no spark but sometimes after cranking the engine over and turn the key off the last rotation of the engine I get one spark. Couple of times it acts like it will start but no luck. What is this?[/align][/align]Is it the crank sensor Bad?just out of coincidence with the other work I just did? [/align][/align]Does this car have a sensor in the coolant system that will pull spark back when there is not enough coolant?[/align][/align]please help... [/align][/align]P.S. pull the timing belt to replace water pump!!!! WTF! [:@][/align][/align]Thanks in advance.[/align][/align]Tory[/align]

Old 04-04-2008, 07:54 PM
wrenchmonkey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: no spark / won't start.

Its fixed....[/align][/align]If you are replacing the timing belt that wasn't broken. Don't assume that the crank and cam gearsare dead on. We didn't bother to set them up because we pulled the old belt off we figured ifwe donttouch the cam gears of the crank gear they will still be in time. Put the belt back on and surprise. The crank turned counter clockwise about a quarter of a revolution. How?? I don't know we were very careful to not move them during the entire process. Maybe one of the cylinders was in compression and when the belt was removed the piston was pushed down?? Who knows but I did learn that it's really easy to align the freakin gearsand avoid any of this in the future.[/align][/align]There you go...[/align]

Quick Reply: no spark / won't start.