Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

99 stratus AC problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008 | 08:54 AM
mildewsenemy
|
Default 99 stratus AC problems

Ok I have a 99 stratus2 liter 4 cylinder engine.

Heres the situation.. I got the car AC was good... one day it blew upthrew a bearing out the sidewall... I got a new compressor dryer and expansion valve.. flushed the lines vacumed it down andhooked it back up...

The AC will not kick on and the radiator fans will not kick on either.. When I force the Compressor on it takes the remainder of the charge it needs but does not blow cold.. So I went to the electrical side and started checking fuses.. they were all good but when I put the fuse back in that said it was for relays the radiator fans kicked on and it began to cool properlyso I tried shutting it off and when i turned it back on it would not work again also the compressor still would not kick on on its own.... at the same time the radiator fans came on thecheck engine light came on and now im stuck.. I cant get the radiator fans to come back on and I have to force the compressor on buy jumping it with 12 volts.. what should I check... relays? all fuses are working ive checked them by pluggin them in for other systems and they work.

Old 04-17-2008 | 09:36 AM
mildewsenemy
|
Default RE: 99 stratus AC problems

I found a new symptom that may shed some light. When I remove the 10a relay fuse and replace it with a 20a fuse the radiator fan kicks on and I am able to remove the fuse and replace it with the 10a and it will stay on with the 10a fuse but if i turn the engine off and back on the radiator fans will not come back on I have to switch the amp fuses out again to get it working.... relay switch not working right?? changing the amps is obviously activaing it.

Old 04-19-2008 | 08:57 AM
tomthedog
Captain

i'm guessing the compress blew and not the engine?

i don't have my books in front of me so i'm working off memory here (and i'm getting old). the relay is a possibillity. for some reason there seems to be too much resistance in you circuts (why the higher fuse works). there are several ways to eliminate sub-componts, paper clips and jumper wires are my fave.

the easy thing to do is turn on your window defrost, as this should turn on your a/c also. if everything works like it should, you have issues with the controls.

you can check you high and low press cutoff switches with a jumper. sometimes the contacts get bad and need more volts across the contacts to operate.

i'm guessing before you replaced the parts you check the wires around the compressor area? with all the freon blowing out it might have some serious effects on the wire insulation in and around that area. look for dried and cracked insulation, rusty or bad grounds.

the only other thing i can think to do is a continuity check on the wires going to the fuse box, might save some time this way. don't have any specs but i think there should be a firly low resistance, < 1 ohm.

there used to be a master a/c tech on this fourm, do an a/c check on this sites search engto see if you can find him.

good luck and let us know the deal.

Old 06-22-2008 | 08:37 PM
mildewsenemy
|

Lol at myself.... on further inspection I had the low pressure switch on upside down!! Ac is working like it should... any one have any tips to make it blow colder?? In the heat of the day 90 degrees i can only get 70 out of it when sitting still and when moving its 60

Old 06-23-2008 | 12:52 PM
ratsttam
Captain

that might be about it for your car. My '00 v6 only hits about the same when i have the AC on. My '04 Cav is colder, but i noticed it uses more gas withthe AC, so it might have a larger compressor and cooling system.

Old 06-25-2008 | 12:38 AM
khooper
Rookie

The one in the car will only come on when it is manualy turned on.
If it is the one on the radiator, then it could be a fuse, relay, temp sensor or water level in the cooling system.

Old 06-25-2008 | 11:04 AM
ratsttam
Captain

a couple days ago, he found the pressure switch was upside down. Please read the thread before posting.

Quick Reply: 99 stratus AC problems