Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

differential bearing bad??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 10:32 PM
stuss73
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differential bearing bad??

I have a 2004 stratus 2.7 v-6. It has a soft "tapping/thumping" noise from the front when going straight, gets louder when I turn right or have more weight from soft dips in the road. Seems to go away when turning left. I had the front left bearing replaced. No help. Took it to the shop and the mechanic took a ride with me. He looked into it and he told me there is a good chance it is the differential bearing. Just by the process of elimination of all the things I've tried (swapping front tires, front bearings), I think that is a legit diagnosis. Thoughts? Thanks.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:47 PM
pearl01stratcpe
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: differential bearing bad??

Umm... What about the CV Axle? Why did he immediately jump to a differential bearing? It sounds like a CV axle. No where near as difficult or expensive as a diff bearing.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 PM
stuss73

The cv axel was mentioned but it was looked at and the noise its making does not point to the cv axel. He said the cv axel would continue to make noise when the car is turning left.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:23 PM
stuss73

He said a bad cv axel would make more of a click sound, this has more tapping rub sound if that makes sense.
I've heard a bad cv axel and I had to agree with that sound difference.

Quick Reply: differential bearing bad??