Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stratus 2.4 no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Pr3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stratus 2.4 no start

Hi guys. I'm having a bit of a problem
I have a Stratus 2.4L with about 97000 miles on it. Never had any problems with it. I was driving it normally, when the engine just shut down. No strange sound, no nothing... I tried to start it up again, but nothing. I had to tow it back home. I put the inginition on, all the lights come on, power windows work, everthing works, but when I turn the key to start the engine... nothing. No sound, no cranck... no nothing. I tried to get the codes to appear on my odometer, but no code comes on. when the engine turned off, I think i saw my odometer sayibg "no bus". Any ideea what it could be? plz help....

Old 05-29-2008, 01:28 PM
craveyj
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stratus 2.4 no start

Have you checked the starter relay and starter?
Locate the starter relay and with a small flat blade screw driver remove the cover and reinstall relay without the cover. Then with your fingerpush the plate closed engine should crank with the key in the off position.If the engine does not crank, check relay connects or swap relay. If relaytests good check starter.

I preformed this test on a 2000 dodge stratus 2.5L V6.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Johnnie

Timing belt gone maybe?

Old 06-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Pr3

Sorry for the late respone. I was out of town for a fet days.
Thanks frt the answers guys, but still the same problem
Checked the starter, starter relay, i replaced the relay, but still nothing
Checked the timig belt, everything seems ok...
Looked for other things also, but can't figure it out.
I noticed if i leave the key in the ignition for a bit longer, the Airbag and Check Engine Light will come on, and the odometer will display NO BUS
Every other gauge seems to work ok. Did a bit of reading around on the forum on the NO BUS error, and I'm going to check/clean connector to the PCM and the CPS...
Any other ideas are welcome....

Old 06-08-2008, 10:27 PM
gpg
Rookie

Check the battery connectors lol. When I went to install my air intake initially, I wanted to be 'safe' so I unplugged the positive battery terminal. When I was done, I hooked everything back up, and basically what you described happened. Put in the keys and turned it 'on', lights and everything came on. Went to start it, and besides the relay click, nothing. I tried several times, and eventually threw a CEL. I tore it down, and reinstalled my stock intake, and it didn't solve anything. I called a local mechanic down and after a little bit of testing they said it's a bad starter. I wasn't going to settle for that because I would've been able to tell if it was going out, so I fiddled around some more and it turns out that there's another connector to the battery that I missed... d'oh.

So check your battery terminals for loose/broken connections, degrading wires/connectors, etc... From what I remember, the OEM connectors are pretty flimsy, and will most likely disintegrate from the battery acid, especally after 90k miles... Mine did at 75k. They're now replaced with terminals for an RV that will last past the life of the car. Don't forget about that auxillary connector x]

Quick Reply: Stratus 2.4 no start