Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Service engine soon light .....

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:12 AM
Coozler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service engine soon light .....

Ok guys i have one issue .... I have 02 Stratus coupe 2.4l , and about 7 months ago Servise engine soon light just pops out ... and i'm like wtf is that ????? , but the car runned smooth like before , no any kind problems at all ....... and even after those 7 months of seeing that light my car runns good .... , even in winter time when outside was -10 ,-15 F i could start my car without any problems .... but right now i started to wondering why the hell that light is on all the time ???? that starts to annoy me a lot .... so what you guys think this can be ??? and where can i get checked up ????

Old 06-30-2008, 07:27 AM
ratsttam
Captain
Default RE: Service engine soon light .....

Your first step is to get the service codes from it. There is a post describing how to do this without a code reader. Pretty sure for the 2nd gen, it is to cycle the key 3 times without starting the car. Or you can go to your local Autozone store where they will read the codes for free. Post back with those codes, and we all can work from there.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:39 AM
nate_0022
Captain

Yep Advance Auto will read them for free.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Coozler

Anywqays i found some extra time , and went to the Advanmced auto parts store and got mine service codes ........ the code is : " PO303 cylinder 3 missfire detected " .. so the guys in the store told me that i should change wires and shocks ......... so what do you guys thing /know about this code PO303 .... ???? and what should i do ???

Old 07-20-2008, 12:02 PM
rmckellar

Can you get the Freeze Frame (FF) data for the code? If you cleared the code, this data will be lost and you will have to wait until the code returns again if ever. This datawill show how your engine was running at the time and what triggered the code because it can befor anumber of reasons such as:
[*]Fuel system problem[*]Vaacum leak[*]Secondary ignition[*]Erratic CAM/Crank sensor signals[*]Engine mechanical problem[*]Valve timing[*]Engine compression[*]Exhaust system restricted[*]Engine PCV system

From the FF data and knowing what the limits for the systems should be, you can dig down closer to the problem. Before I bought a car for my son from a dealership, I plugged a code reader into it and it had this similar code for #6 cylinder. It turned out to be a leaking intake manifold gasket which they fixed before I bought it. The code has never returned.

Good luck and I hope it's nothing major.

Quick Reply: Service engine soon light .....