Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Dodge Stratus Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:06 PM
SyntheticShield
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Stratus Front End Noise

My boss's daughter drives a 2001 (I believe) Dodge Stratus with the 2.4L I4 and automatic transmission. He brought it to me because it is making some noise up front and wanted to see if I could fix it. Its making a grinding type noise from the front end. We my first thought was a wheel bearing, but he had me replace them both less than six months ago. So what I did first was swap the bearings around, drivers side to passenger side and passenger to driver to see if the noise would move, but it didnt. However, in pulling the bearings I discovered one of them was leaking grease, apparently the seal had failed so it was replaced but there is still no change in the noise.

It increases in frequency with speed, but you cant really hear it until you are going over 20 mph. It goes away when you turn to the right, but does not change when you turn to the left. I put the front end up on jack stands and had him run the car up to about 35 mph and I could not hear the grinding noise with it jacked up. It doesnt go away when you apply the brakes.

The only think left I can think of is perhaps the differential in the transmission or the axles, but Ive never heard an axle make this type of sound before. Im used to them clicking when you turn. So I would greatly appreciate any input or ideas on things that could be checked. When I had the car jacked up I grabbed the wheels at 12 and 6 and 9 and 3 and there is no play.

At any rate, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:19 AM
SyntheticShield

Okay, we've replaced both axles and the noise remains. I pulled the transmission pan today and there was no metal in there (working from the assumption it could be the differential). Fluid needed to be replaced, but other than that it was good to go in there. Also, I found out it is a 1999 not a 2001.

Anyone have any experience or ideas as to what could be causing this noise?

Old 08-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Losingtrustindodge

Originally Posted by SyntheticShield
Okay, we've replaced both axles and the noise remains. I pulled the transmission pan today and there was no metal in there (working from the assumption it could be the differential). Fluid needed to be replaced, but other than that it was good to go in there. Also, I found out it is a 1999 not a 2001.

Anyone have any experience or ideas as to what could be causing this noise?
Had same kind of noise, Turned out to be a brake shield rubbing on wheel. If you have after market rims i would look at this.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:17 AM
tomthedog
Captain

ball joints? had that happen with my '02. they are supposed to be sealed like the wheel bearings but you can find shops that have a needle injector so you don't have to pull the joint. had to replace mine after several "fixxes" this past year.

Quick Reply: Dodge Stratus Front End Noise