Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

99 2.4 high idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
nascarfan75
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 2.4 high idle

My car has decided in the last week that it want s to idle extremely high first thing in the morning when we go to leave for work. Today it was acting like it was going to stall, so the rev's get jumoing up and down. At lunch, my girlfriend said that it was extremely rough running and she had to keep hitting the gas. We both work for a parts store and had one of the shop guys take it for a rip, but to no avail, as it ran perfect for him. Anyone have any ideas before i start throwing expensive parts at it?

Old 08-14-2008, 10:51 AM
littlepunk29
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default me too

97 2.4L

I have had odd intermittent problems with my idle as well, sometimes it drives beautifully, and sometimes it drives like crap.
When my car decides to have troubles it idles high (1200rpm) in park and neutral, and in drive and reverse (haven't tried the other gears) it idles low (700rpm). It will do the odd idle problem for a while, then it will stop that and switch to just dying while I am first leaving the parking lot, backing out, or pulling up to a stop light. Then it starts cutting out while I am moving, like at 50-70mph I can feel it cut out and come back on. It doesn't matter if my foot is on the gas or break, it does its own thing.

Anyway, I have replaced the PCV, the IAC, the MAP, and each time I replaced something, it would drive beautifully for about 2 weeks then all of the symptoms would come back. I guess when I un-hooked the battery it reset the computer, so the computer would be trying to adjust and compensate for whatever the problem is the first two weeks.

I have also replaced the camshaft position sensor, due to the oil leak that it was causing, and the throttle body gasket because it was cracked when I replaced the IAC. I also cleaned out the throttle body with some carb cleaner, and I ran some BG 44K through it, but nothing seemed to do the trick.

I had my fuel pump replaced a few years ago, and I was under the impression that they also changed the fuel filter, but now I am not so sure, so this is my next avenue. I had a lot of trouble replicating the issue to help diagnose it, but there is one hill that I just cannot hold speed going up, it drops from 65 to 55 and sluggishly makes it to the top, so I am thinking fuel pressure issue.

Hope this helps! (When I did the IAC and cleaned out the throttle body, I got about 4mpg better afterward, so at least something good came from all my trouble.)

Quick Reply: 99 2.4 high idle