Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

car acts as if it wants to shut off....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 PM
msTara02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy car acts as if it wants to shut off....

I have a 2001 Stratus, 2.4 dohc with 122k miles. I just got the car and I wasn't sure of when the last time it had an oil change, but when i got an oil change, the oil looked like straight sludge. My grandma owed the car until she passed about 10 months ago. My sis used the vehicle as her everyday vehicle since then until she started complaining about how it was running. She never got any maintenance done to the car and I'm not sure how long it had been since my grandmother had last gotten maintenance done before her passing. I also recently got the spark plugs and wires changed. When the car is in motion it runs like a dream, but when I'm idling the car jerks like it wants to cut off. It doesn't do it violently, nor does it idle fast. There are no overheating issues either. When I accelerate to go forward after it has been idling, it does the same thing until I get to a certain speed. I really love the car and I would love to keep the maintenance up on it because it belonged to my grandmother. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could cause this problem?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:28 PM
maddy2405

oh somebody please answer this one! i got exactly the same issue! please!

Old 04-21-2009, 12:34 AM
twinkey1
Amateur

it could be a few things,it could be a clog fuel filter or bad fuel pump,Check the MAF(Mass Air Flow) sensor. It is located on the throttle body, usually right after the air filter. Most of the time it is flat shaped and just screws into the throttle body. Unplug the electrical connector from it. Unscrew the sensor, clean the inside of the sensor with rubbing alcohol, get any dirt you see out. be careful no to break the little metal pieces inside. screw it back in place and reconnect the electric connector and give it a test drive. If that doesnt work, replace the sensor.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:04 AM
tony2103b
Default response

i agree, also, check for any loose parts as far as the intake goes, there may be a leak there which can throw off the MAFS, i had the exact problem, stuttering and stalling. good luck!

Old 04-24-2009, 04:30 AM
denice25
Rookie

Check the fuel pump or fuel filter...

Quick Reply: car acts as if it wants to shut off....