Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Thumping noice in new front rotors on 1997 Plymouth Breeze

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Volitics
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thumping noise in new front rotors on 1997 Plymouth Breeze (like Stratus)

Hello Everyone;

I have got a 1997 Plymouth Breeze. A Plymouth Breeze has the same body style as the Dodge Stratus.

I just had a brake job. The mechanics installed new front rotors. The turned the rear drums. The new brakes work great.

But the right front rotor is making a mild thumping noise. I cannot feel it in the steering wheel or anything.

The thumping noise is not very loud. I have to have the a/c turned off before I can hear it.

The mechanic said that the new rotors would need a "seating in" period. They told me to drive the car for a few days and the thumping noise would go away.

Can anybody tell me is a noise like that normal for a newly installed set of rotors?

Thanks.

Last edited by Volitics; 11-09-2008 at 02:47 PM. Reason: typo, clarification
Old 11-10-2008, 10:39 PM
ratsttam
Captain

Can't say for sure that it's not "normal" but i've never had anything like what you describe. I can tell you that i'm extremly rough on my cars (I deliver pizza), and normally replace pads every 6 months, and rotors (front and rear, no drums on the ES-v6) every other year.
I would say, give it a week, and have it checked if they still haven't "set in" properly, as your mechanic describes.

Welcome to the board.
Ah, might also want to put your specs in your sig or "about me" area. It will make it much easier for the experts here to help you our appropriately.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Volitics

Thanks for responding to my question.

I've had rotors replaced on other vehicles before and they never thumped. I drove the car this morning and I did not notice the thumping noise.

The mechanics are reputable. Actually, it's the Dodge dealership. They have done good work on this same vehicle before. Also, I have heard others say that they do good work.

The service manager the other day seemed to know exactly what I was talking about.

I'll give it another few days and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Thumping noice in new front rotors on 1997 Plymouth Breeze