Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Jumping Starter Relay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:43 PM
hankmavery
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumping Starter Relay?

Hello to the Dodge folks,

I've been through several steps with this '96 Dodge Stratus starting system.

I had the 20 amp bus fuse blowing and I replaced the small wire from the solenoid to the starter relay and that worked for 30 starts.

Now it's back to doing nothing when I turn the key.

How can I jump the starter relay just to get it going and possibly bring it to a shop?

Thanks for any replys!

Old 12-01-2008, 03:30 PM
tomthedog
Captain

might be time to replace the starter. as elec parts get older thier resistance increases, increasing the load on the circut, just part of the aging process. if you still have the factory starter it's over 13 yrs old, i'd start with the relay if you havn't done so yet, move on to the grounds (batt and engine) as this may also increase the load for your circuts. hope this helps.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:14 AM
hankmavery

Originally Posted by tomthedog
might be time to replace the starter. as elec parts get older thier resistance increases, increasing the load on the circut, just part of the aging process. if you still have the factory starter it's over 13 yrs old, i'd start with the relay if you havn't done so yet, move on to the grounds (batt and engine) as this may also increase the load for your circuts. hope this helps.
Hi Tom,
I appreciate your help on this matter.
Maybe it is a problem with the grounds. How do I check these? The starter is a new "used" starter that was tested at the yard. The problem is the same as it was with the old one.

Thanks for any replys!
Hank

Old 12-05-2008, 10:26 PM
tomthedog
Captain

follow the neg batt lead to where it hooks to the car body, look for junk built up on the connections. same with any cables that hook to/from the enginge block that don't appear to go anywere else but the frame.

Quick Reply: Jumping Starter Relay?