Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Really Stupid But Serious Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:34 PM
ne82588
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really Stupid But Serious Question

Hey guys...i've been a member for a while now but I forgot my password and my e-mail changed so i just took the easy route and made a new account! Anyways, I have an 03 Stratus ES Sedan 2.7 with 74,000 miles. Bought it June 07 with 43,000 miles. Commute 35 miles+ 3-4 days/ wk. All work done at dealership (sunroof motor, tie-rod, tranny serviced, full tune up, front brakes, oil switch, oil changed every 2,500 miles) since i bought it a year and a half ago. I am a detailer so the car is about as clean as 74,000 miles can get and I really do love the car. My questionif it can even be answered)...how long realistically can i expect this car to last. I'm a little worried about the transmission going soon since they seem to be prone to failure. It DOES act up every now and then and will shift very hard from 1st to 2nd and also when downshifting on occasion. The fluid is clean, no unusual smell been checked a thousand times with no issue. I still owe about $6000 on it and am not going to be happy if I have to invest $2000+ for a transmission this early in the cars life. What are your guy's experiences with your stratuses...i know the 2.4s are pretty much bullet proof but i'm not too sure about the 2.7 especially with the sludge issue. Any comments are GREATLY appreciated.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:29 PM
tomthedog
Captain

if your real worried about it you can always buy powertrain insurance. i got my '02 new and have had no real issues. vac hose, fan motor, and changing out that FREAKIN' lower rad hose and t-stat (norm maint). i'm at 75K with 3 years on the german autobahn (stupid govener). just keep up with the oil changes. happy motoring.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:37 AM
ne82588

Thanks for the reply Tom. I didn't even know powertrain issurance existed but i'll look into it. And yes i DEFINATELY change the oil every 2500 miles ...if not before that...I won't let it go as far as 3000 for the shear fact of the sludge issue...i don't plan on running the car into the ground but if I can get 2-3 more solid years out of it i would be thrilled.! Thanks again.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can change the password on the old account for you. PM me if you'd like.

Quick Reply: Really Stupid But Serious Question